Playing with my SNES and EPROMs

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by snake2, Feb 24, 2014.

1. snake2
    OP

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    I got an EPROM programmer and some 27c801 chips and decided to work with my SNES again.

I started off simple and flashed TMNT Turtles in Time to a chip as it will fit on a single chip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also tried to fix my copy of Mega Man X that had traces that were eaten away by moving it to another board and wiring in a memory address decoder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The games loads but some copy protections were activated. X looses his armor upgrades and you randomly have to replay the highway stage. Guess the mask ROMs were damaged so I will have to try burning some new EPROMs.

And finally I wrote the ROM hack Zelda Parallel Worlds to a couple of chips and threw them into a cart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am waiting on some larger chips so I can make a copy of Earth Bound and Chrono Trigger.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Absolutely fascinating. :yay:

Have you considered implementing chip sockets to make the operation solder-less? It would probably make matters easier for you. ;)

3. snake2
    OP

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Sockets would make it too tall to fit inside the cart without cutting a hole in the back. I will probably make one with sockets to use to test the chips before soldering them in.