Playing with my SNES and EPROMs

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by snake2, Feb 24, 2014.

1. snake2
    OP

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    I got an EPROM programmer and some 27c801 chips and decided to work with my SNES again.

I started off simple and flashed TMNT Turtles in Time to a chip as it will fit on a single chip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also tried to fix my copy of Mega Man X that had traces that were eaten away by moving it to another board and wiring in a memory address decoder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The games loads but some copy protections were activated. X looses his armor upgrades and you randomly have to replay the highway stage. Guess the mask ROMs were damaged so I will have to try burning some new EPROMs.

And finally I wrote the ROM hack Zelda Parallel Worlds to a couple of chips and threw them into a cart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am waiting on some larger chips so I can make a copy of Earth Bound and Chrono Trigger.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Absolutely fascinating. :yay:

Have you considered implementing chip sockets to make the operation solder-less? It would probably make matters easier for you. ;)

3. snake2
    OP

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Sockets would make it too tall to fit inside the cart without cutting a hole in the back. I will probably make one with sockets to use to test the chips before soldering them in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice