Playing Wads from my HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rapol, Feb 1, 2012.

Feb 1, 2012

Playing Wads from my HDD by rapol at 9:14 AM (6,565 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    So I have my wii hacked, and I also have it to where I can play wii games saved onto my HDD as well.

I wanted to know if there was a way I could also play WAD(wiiware) games.

2. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    It the moment, VC / Wiiware still needs to be installed on the nand. The real nand flash chip is only 512MB in size.
    The most recent cIOS allow to use an emulated nand. It's basically the contents of the nand flash on the usb drive.
    Another approach is using neek2o. That simply ignores the internal flash disk, and does everything from an emulated nand on the harddisk or the sd card.
    You can use multiple nands with it, and it minimises the risk to brick your wii, since you install your VC and Wiiware on your virtual nand, which are just a bunch of folders on the harddisk. You can install wad's on your nand with a program like multi mod manager or wadmanager_gui. (Just 2 examples)
    Be aware that installing a malformed wad can cause a bannerbrick on your system menu. Make sure you have priiloader on it to recover from such occasions.

3. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    You can run WiiWare/VC from SD if you are on system menu 4.x
    Just move them to SD(HC) from within your Wii settings (manage Wii memory, or something like that)
    Then you can start them from SD, by clicking in your Wii menu, left under on the SD icon

4. Sinister181

Newcomer Sinister181 Newbie

Australia
    You can indeed play WiiWare and Virtual Console from the hard drive. But you need to dump the NAND first to the external hard drive (using Simple FS Dumper), and install the WADs to the NAND (using Showmiiwads). They are then playable through Mighty Channels. The hard drive format has to be FAT32 for it to work, though, an NTFS is unreadable with Mighty Channels. Speaking, of which, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this method already.

5. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    The last time I tried, it wasn't exactly the most stable and compatible method to play VC and wiiware.
    Maybe things changed with the newer cios that came out.

6. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    If Im not mistaken, USB Loader GX is capable of installing WADs on a partial emu nand on your HDD.

7. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    Many thanks to everyone so far, I'll try this when I get home from work today and let you know the results!