Hardware Playing Console Games on a PC Monitor

LoloLakitu

Shwowow Schogog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was thinking of moving all my consoles out of my living room and putting them into my office where my PC is, as I don't really spend all that much time in there. Is there a cheap device I can use to connect my consoles to my monitor? I'll be using a PS2 using component and a Wii using composite.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'll need,

* A component switch box
* A component cable for the Wii
* A component to HDMI active converter (not those fake component to HDMI cable)

Depending on your monitor, you may need a passive HDMI switch. Additionally, you need to route audio portion separately.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only have an open VGA port on my monitor, and I already have a bunch of RCA to 1/8" jack cords.
In that case you'll need an active component to VGA converter. The problem is neither PS2 or Wii is capable of doing RGB (signal used in VGA) over component cable for ALL games (some PS2 games can do RGB, Wii is completely incapable of RGB).

Again get component cable for the Wii, VGA switch box, and component to VGA active converter.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The cheap options are passive adaptors that just splice one connector to the other, however if the signal is not compatible, it won't work.
Expensive options are active converters that convert the signal from one type (e.g. Digital) to another (e.g. Analogue) to make it work. This involves slightly more complex hardware and that doesn't come cheap. Typically the only people who really need them are multimedia studios and editing suites (I've worked for them).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...