Question playing backups possible now?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by SirGray, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SirGray
    OP

SirGray GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    Haven't checked the scene in awhile, can I run backups on my 3.0.0 switch?

2. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    no, not yet

3. BlackWizzard17
    This message by BlackWizzard17 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  4. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 15, 2018.
    Jan 15, 2018
  5. raphamotta

raphamotta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2013
    Yes you can play old console backups with retroarch

6. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  7. BlackWizzard17
    This message by BlackWizzard17 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  8. SirGray
    OP

SirGray GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    lol thanks guys, good idea to stay at 3.0.0 then? I can already run emulators on my wii u. So I might just leave the switch in the box for now.

9. Digital_0xFF
    This message by Digital_0xFF has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  10. Kubas_inko
    This message by Kubas_inko has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  11. Hondyn

Hondyn GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I dont really have a wiiu but i do have a 3ds and i can pretty much do what i want, like snes and stuff. So lets just wait patiently to the time we can do this hacking process in a clear way. Until then, i ll be sitting on the 4.1.0

12. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    Any FW up to 4.1 is exploitable, stay as low as possible.

13. Stellar Bull

Stellar Bull Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    Unfortunately 4.1 is just userland, so unless a new exploit is found we're out of luck for the foreseeable future.

14. Natehaxx
    This message by Natehaxx has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 15, 2018
  15. g00s3y
    This message by g00s3y has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 16, 2018
  16. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    -snip-

@OP, currently, it is not possible. Do not update at all if you are on 3.0.0 as it is compatible with SciresM's current kernel exploit (yet to be shown but he is reputable enough to believe it). I recommend reading up and joining ReSwitched's discord if you have not already.

17. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    The toxicity on GBAtemp is kinda sad.

To throw in some heat: I bought by 3ds back in the day to run 3ds backups on it. I bought the switch for the same reason. I can play emulators elsewhere, and they will most likely run better than on the switch.
    I don't need portable linux either, and even if I needed it, I'd run it on my phone rather than on the switch.

The goal of hacking scenes is to be able to run backups in the end, whether you like it or not. If you just enjoy homebrew, that is great, but there is no need to attack those that are waiting for the possibility to play backups.

It's like saying "We all like sports. I prefer football. Those of you that like basketball should s my d."

18. dimmidice
    This message by dimmidice has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 16, 2018
  19. BlackWizzard17
    Jan 16, 2018
  20. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Please refrain from responding unless you're answering the topic starter's question and/or any follow-up questions that might appear. GBAtemp is not an imageboard and posting jokes/mocking people will be treated as offtopic content.

Goodolgamer1980, VinsCool and peteruk like this.
  21. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    @SirGray since many would attempt to ruin your question with retarded jokes, let me sum it up for you...

There a 2 different teams working on hacking the Switch at the moment to enable modding (so no backup loading with them for the longer while).
    And then there's team Xecuter with 2 types of hardmods (solder and solderless) that will most surely enable backup loading.

First two teams will likely release their software mods for free but limited to specific Switch software version.
    Hardmods are claimed to work on all softwares (and I believe future updates as well) but will cost you.

Hope that's a good answer for your question.

Madridi likes this.
  22. leon315
    This message by leon315 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 16, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jan 16, 2018
  23. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Can be patched via hardware revision. What's the other "team" TX is the only ones that will release something, if your referring to FOF, they won't release anything, even if it's a free solution. FOF is strictly against piracy, why would they release it for free to the masses?

24. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    another hacker can still find the flaw fof is using.

25. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    As I recall, Fail0verflow are indeed against piracy but pro modding and developing; warranting a release.
    Maybe I'm wrong, though, as I myself don't tend to trust my memory that often :toot: