Hacking Play ps2 discs on non compatible fat ps3

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I’ve just brought a phat/fat ps3 which I thought would play PlayStation 2 games but it turns out it is one with 2 usb slots on the front, so not compatible with ps2 games, it does play ps1 games however.

I was wondering if it could be hacked to play PlayStation 2 games via genuine physical disc?
And if it can via modding, would it be softmodded or would I need to buy the e3 thing?

I’ve had a look around but I’m not having too much luck finding the answer to this one.
My ps3 is a CHECHK04 model.
Software V. 4.75

Any help, much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by MTyler87,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven’t been in the PS3 scene for years… but afaik: Non BC PS3’s don’t contain the hardware to play PS2 discs (PS2 emotion engine), but you can dump the game to iso and run it with cobra/mamba or whatever it was.

SemiBC > netemu ENC > Cobra/Mamba.

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah thank you for getting back to me so quickly, that’s a shame to know the hardware isn’t there to run the physical disc, I’ll have to keep looking for a compatible one then, thanks again for the information, much appreciated :)

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by MTyler87,
Reactions: Hayato213

DeskSpider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh a very handy list, thank you.

Edit: I’ve looked it up but it doesn’t seem to be possible to softmod this ps3 cechk04, software v.4.5.
Is it possible to mod it without buying additional tools? Thanks!
When you say softmod, do you mean install CFW? You should be able to do that without any tools on your PS3. I can't post any links but the subreddit the_new_ps3_homebrew has a wiki that includes a decent guide on how to install CFW.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the go to site is www.psx-place.com . that's where hen and the ability to install cfw on compatible units without a flasher originated.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think what you want is bguerville toolbox, which even works on ofw 4.80-4.87. there's several tutorials on there for installing cfw from scratch. don't use youtube or anything like that or you could brick your system.

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah thank you very much both, I will look into these sources and hopefully make sense of it and not brick my system.
A lot of places I’ve read have said you need to downgrade with e3 flasher and that’s the only way to install custom firmware, so it’s a relief to find out that it’s not the case, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad: