1. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    So you don't have a source for this claim? Yet, you decided to keep it in there as a fact? Okie dokie.

2. Sephirosu

Sephirosu GBAtemp Regular

I believe it's been documented on switchbrew that Nintendo has a Max of 32 keys in their disposal because of the finite number of fuses they can burn in the switch. I could have misunderstood what was written there thou but I believe that's why.

3. wurstpistole

wurstpistole GBAtemp MVP

United Kingdom
    No I am pretty sure that this is the real key:
    bcc6820a14e7128263c8b450276cee42

SimonMKWii likes this.
  4. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Thank you for your kind reply. 32 keyblobs, at most 32 master keys. Ok. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean there will be 32 master keys.

Leppa likes this.
  5. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Cryptosystem

The Switch uses the same "Keyslot" system as the 3DS, the 3DS had 64 Keyslots (= 192 Keys), i don't see a 32 on Switchbrew, but the 3DS didn't even use half of the Keyslots in it's lifetime, so 32 looks realistic.

Leppa likes this.
  6. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Maniac

Greece
    the real key starts with : C2CXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

7. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I asume the Key is useless on 3.0 :D

8. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    And as I was saying if they are based on the keyblob, which it seems they are, there is a max possibility of 32, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be 32 master keys used. But since 32 were programmed in, I guess technically there are 32 master keys.

I could care less where they store their keys, but I see how you were arriving at your solution.

Now, since there is technical information that is publicly available to everyone, I do not see any reason for OP to not link switchbrew as a source, or mention it when somebody asks about specifics. I understand the reason for keeping sources anonymous, but if it took me 5 seconds to figure it out after reading 1 web page, why not just mention it or any aspect of it rather than how OP answered. Obviously I tried with Google and failed at first. Sigh.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Put their hashes into the web site they linked and you'll see their hidden messages. None of those are the real keys. You also can't post a real key here, as it's against the rules. A hash of the real key is okay though, as long as it's not reversible.

Leppa likes this.
  9. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I mean they just posted the 2.X hash right? For a 3.0 System we need different ones?

Leppa likes this.
  10. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Romania
    Hashes will be fine, various homebrew tools like godmode9 already include them to check if the key is correct, without including the actual key. They're a nice irreversible way to know if you have the right key without contributing in any other way to disclosing it.

Leppa likes this.
  11. Furoryan

Furoryan Member
    Newcomer

France
    In NFO : "MasterKey1: 3.0.0"
    So, the first master key is for 1.0.0-2.3.0 or 1.0.0-3.0.0 ???
    Another question is : do they have the others 31 keys?

Leppa likes this.
  12. cearp

cearp 瓜老外
    Developer

Tuvalu
    lol this isn't a dissertation, calm it.

13. T-hug

OP T-hug Always like this.
    Chief Editor

The released key is key 0 for 1.0.0-2.3.0
    Key 1 is for 3.0.0, and so on.
    Keys are numbered 0-31.
    I've no idea if they have more keys or if that's even possible at this point.

operador7 likes this.
  14. operador7

operador7 Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    it is getting closer.... its matter of months already.

15. Subtle Demise

United States
    All that wikipedia article shows is a tin of people protesting the idea and blatantly breaking the law through other methods. Which shows that the law is at the very least unenforceable. Even Wikipedia itself has one of the flags.

Leppa likes this.
  16. Lightyose

Lightyose True Light

United States
    So... Is Switch gonna have a good time hacking it?

Leppa likes this.
  17. Garrincho

Garrincho GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    I'll ask again since nobody answered the last time...

How did they get these keys? Does it mean they have *something *?

Leppa likes this.
  18. Rfire

Rfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's no matter since only people with access to scene topsites can get the uncensored NFO. Google has scrubbed the key from all search results, and all NFO mirrors have scrubbed the NFO as well. Looks like the key is gone.

Leppa likes this.
  19. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Maniac

Greece
    if you know where to search you will find it:) i have the key right here with the nfo

Leppa likes this.
  20. SciresM

SciresM Developer
    Developer

United States

Better explanation: Nintendo has pre-committed to 32 keyblobs, each containing a set of keys. At the factory, they generate a console unique "Secure Boot Key" and burn it into bootrom-only fuses for your console. They also install some hardware secrets that enable your console to generate a console-unique "TSEC key" at runtime. Each keyset has a certain 128-bit constant associated with it -- at the factory, Nintendo calculates KEYBLOB_KEY_N = aes_encrypt(key=Secure Boot Key, data=aes_encrypt(key=TSEC KEY, data=KEYBLOB_CONSTANT_N)) for all 32 keyblobs, encrypts KEYBLOB_N with KEYBLOB_KEY_N, and writes it into your NAND.

When a system update occurs, the "ns" system module will place the correct encrypted keyblob into an unsigned part of Nintendo's stage 1 bootloader ("pk11loader"). The bootloader for a given firmware version has KEYBLOB_CONSTANT_N hardcoded, and so your console can derive KEYBLOB_KEY_N using that constant. (Note: These keys are all cleared after they are used. To recover KEYBLOB_KEY_N, one would need pk11loader execution via glitching, etc.)

The upshot is that although there are 32 keyblobs (and thus 32 master keys), we cannot calculate most of them because we do not have KEYBLOB_CONSTANT_N for them yet. When Nintendo releases an update to use the new keyblobs, the update will include a version of pk11loader that contains the appropriate keyblob constant, and thus your console will be able to calculate KEYBLOB_KEY_N and derive master key N.

I hope the above was clear -- unlike my earlier post, I'm not sure how to make it non-technical.

Last edited by SciresM, Feb 2, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - release, Pirate, Switch