Hacking Petition: open source wiikey

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To the Wiikey team

Please release the firmware source code for the wiikey to the public.

Developing and maintaining the firmware will only cost you money. The wiikey itself will only benefit from good coders and hopefully will solve the bug from which 1.9g suffers.

Do the good thing so that you can put all your efforts and money in the development of new modchips.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The D2Ckey team is doing all the new coding for the wiikey if I recall correctly. So, if you are worried about new firmware updates being needed and not happening, don't.

Also, there is no way Xeno("the wiikey team") will make the source code open on their own. They made a huge fuss about this before.

I can understand where they are coming from too. It would be like petitioning coca cola to make their recipe available to the public. Xeno are selling a product. Just like their GC chip that is still selling and their 360 blaster.

There are plenty of open source modchips to choose from already. and PIC chips are about $1usd.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
To the Wiikey team

Developing and maintaining the firmware will only cost you money. The wiikey itself will only benefit from good coders and hopefully will solve the bug from which 1.9g suffers.

Do the good thing so that you can put all your efforts and money in the development of new modchips.

What bug?

And it's not going to happen.

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To the Wiikey team

What bug?

And it's not going to happen.

What bug? Are you serious? Please read http://wiikey19g.wordpress.com/ and also other forums....
and there is no sign that the wiikey team is going to solve this one

and please don't say it's a problem of not having a real wiikey or bad installs....

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I will. Has this bug happened to you? There is no reason for anything to suddenly stop working, unless the components are of poor quality. My homemade Wiikey (quality componentes and 19g) has worked since I installed it 6 months ago.

EDIT: Your source states the same problem also happens on CycloWiz chips and Wiinja deluxes.

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1.9g is fine here

wish all my mods were as good

Apart from the fact that we can expect no support at all (it's a china based company after all :-) ) we shouldn't put our heads in the sand...there are issues with 1.9g... even some modders admit that they have more returns since 1.9g ...

Replacing the wiikey with a new one or hotswap a working with a non-working and reflash it seem to be the only two working solutions....or stay on 1.9b.

btw. it's not only one source ...also others forums (strangly enough only a few on gbatemp) report on having wiikey 1.9g issues....

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. It's worked fine for me since day one.

Some wiikeys are just plain defective and always have been. This has caused the need for some returns to retailers since before even the first wiikey FW update.

If it was really a problem more people wold be in an uproar. But it seems it's just about the same ammount of people that have always complained about wiikey not working for them for any number of reasons. Probably less even.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I for one agree.

1.9G has been a "beta firmware upgrade" for months now. When are they going to release the actual 1.9? Making the Wiikey open source will only help us end users in the long run.

theman69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i don't see an issue myself with using 1.9g it does what it's supposed to do, not great, just what it's supposed to do. There is no way imo that they will release the code time*work = money. getting the work they did will make them lose money.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I for one agree.

1.9G has been a "beta firmware upgrade" for months now. When are they going to release the actual 1.9? Making the Wiikey open source will only help us end users in the long run.
I don't know why a lot of people brag about that BETA after 1.9. It's not beta anymore, as after all this time, it has become final
tongue.gif

Yeah, making it Open Source would help us in the long run, but if the D2CKey Team provides support, why bother.

After all, OpenWii doesn't have a SINGLE feature that would be useful to a normal WiiKey user. When they'll add something like full region free then I'll be the first bragging for an Open Source WiiKey
wink.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the WiiKii clones can also run the same WiiKii firmware, there is a very obvious reason why whomever makes the actual Wiikii doesn't want to make the source code open... Competitors/clones can just make their own variant of the code and undercut the WiiKii even further. Of course, I guess this argument could go the other way, someone could reverse engineer the firmware altogether, and we'd be at the same point.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jester is right, no way they will make it open source. they still hope that newer firmwares will not work on clones
(and jester, it's not a wiikII but a wiikEY
tongue.gif
)

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This might be interesting: YAOSM, a opensource modchip project, will be completely re-written. And according to the programmer it should be possible to load it on a wiikey.

Quote from bell (yaosm programmer) :
QUOTE said:
That is the big advantage, but a nice side effect is that with most of the code in a single binary file and much less code in PIC code, it becomes much easier to port. In fact with minor modifcations to the current OpenWii code you would be able to replace it's own drivecode with the one from yaosm. All you need is code to read and write over the serial bus. Wabmodcheap is another code that easily could be used as a base to upload and activate the yaosm drivecode. In the future, in case WiiKey drops their support, it would propably be possible reprogram them with yaosm (may need an external programmer unless someone figures out their update procedure).

Read the thread here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/63794-en...sm-we-know.html

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow that's so great... it's not news at all. [note: that was sarcasm] Seriously, we know that the drivecode is interchangeable. We know that OpenWii is compiled for ATMEL AVR, and that the Wiikey and Openwii and Chiip use the SAME FUCKING CHIP. (Different pinouts though
smile.gif
)

I had to get that out of my system.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well i don't anything about the chips and their programming. But I just saw this on the yaosm forums and thought it would be interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: