PCSX2 emulator developer explains GPL code-related info regarding AetherSX2

pcsx22.png

The new AetherSX2 emulator made waves across the emulation scene when it was quietly announced to the world. It promised PlayStation 2 emulation on Android, and with good performance to boot, which left many wondering how this emulator came to be, especially after the release of DamonPS2, which used another PS2 emulator's code--PCSX2--without complying with GPL licensing, and even selling the software for profit. One of the developers from the PCSX2 team decided to look into the matter and release an explanation that clarifies some details about the mysterious new AetherSX2 emulator.

As it stands, PCSX2 is open source and complies with GPLv3, with three instances of code that are part of the software: debugger code from another emulator--PPSSPP, the FreeType library, and libmpeg2. With AetherSX2 presumably using the code from PCSX2, it would need to remove those GPL bits of code in order to not have any issues upon release. Fortunately, the two dev teams got in contact, and it appears that the remaining code won't be a problem by the time AetherSX2 is made publicly available. The FreeType OSD and PPSSPP debugger aren't used, as AetherSX2 has its own OSD and does not make use of any of the debugger code. Meanwhile, while it does use libmpeg2, the developer has stated that it'll be simply replaced by FFmpeg, meaning the entire project will be LGPL and in the clear.

The existence of these 3rd party GPL parts means that PCSX2 as a combined works needs to comply to the GPLv3 license but our source code that we own remains LGPL. By distributing the code when requested we comply with the GPLv3 license. See the GNU FAQ here and here. If these mentioned libraries are removed, the entire project would become purely LGPL licensed.

These concerns of course extended out to this new emulator, and we had to reach out about it to Tahlreth. After a good discussion with him about these issues, we have been assured that it will no longer be a problem by the time the emulator releases. Right now the only piece of GPL code they need to contend with is libmpeg2, which can be replaced with FFmpeg, which is under the LGPL license; this is something we planned on doing in the future, since libmpeg2 is over a decade old. As for the aforementioned debugger and Freetype code, they no longer exist. Aether has its own OSD and no debugger, meaning the emulator will be entirely LGPL.

:arrow: Source

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think it's the community as much as it is Damon Smurfposting in a bunch of forums on reddit, having mental breakdowns because his shady slap-together is going to be challenged by something free that actually uses GPL-compliant code.

Haters gonna hate.
It's funny how they apparently stole PPSSPP's code too, and they're selling a slightly modified version on Chinese app stores lmfao

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Real hardware has shit video signal, the disc reader is unreliable, and unless you get a Phat you only have USB 1.1 ports to play backups.

Not the best deal out there.

I dont use it as I have a phat but there is also smb, although I am aware it only uses smbv1 which can be a pain.

LunarRXA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enjoy being passive agressive? It's all relative to how powerful your PC is. Most decent emulators these days can upscale resolution which makes them look much, much nicer than on a native console experience. I'd say that's worth the compromise for games and franchises that you enjoy.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's funny how they apparently stole PPSSPP's code too, and they're selling a slightly modified version on Chinese app stores lmfao
And also made fucking TRADEMARKS for Pcsx2, ppsspp and even goddamn retroarch in china. Damon knows no damn end and it's genuinely insane.
enjoy your terrible emulation experience and having to use hacks so games are even playable then.
Look, i'm kinda critical on PS2 emulation too for the reason of hacks being needed so often, but it's by no means shit or terrible, just a bit less user friendly and requires a bit more time invested to get your collection running and needs better hardware compared to gamecube/wii emulation (and even then; i was able to run megaman x8 at natural speed on an old gateway workstation via PCSX2). PS2/PS3s are NOT gonna last forever at all so eventually this so-called terrible emulation experience is gonna be your only option, have fun!

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 does not have a video signal problem with component and RGB options right out of the box. You do need a good scaler to play on most modern TVs, but you should really be using a CRT as God intended anyway.

Still plenty of value in emulation but the real deal is no slouch.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 emulation is so shit why even bother?
just get a 20 bucks slim

Now, now, there's no need to be upset at PCSX2, it's not their fault you have a shitty PC to emulate on.

But seriously, OG PS2 hardware and graphics look like shit on modern displays, you're the problem, not PCSX2.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PS2 emulation is so shit why even bother?
just get a 20 bucks slim
ps2 emulation is actually really good, theres been a boat load of games ive managed to play thru and finnish that i couldnt be assed doing on my ps2 and not alot of hacks needed these days, u mightwanna actually go have a look at the emulator lol its come a long long way

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps2 emulation is actually really good, theres been a boat load of games ive managed to play thru and finnish that i couldnt be assed doing on my ps2 and not alot of hacks needed these days, u mightwanna actually go have a look at the emulator lol its come a long long way

He's just upset that his PC is too weak :creep:

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 does not have a video signal problem with component and RGB options right out of the box. You do need a good scaler to play on most modern TVs, but you should really be using a CRT as God intended anyway.

Still plenty of value in emulation but the real deal is no slouch.
PS2 RGB has really bad jailbars on all models and component is worse especially since the Official PS2 cables are very cheaply made the ps3 20GB is the only real saving grace for Video output for ps2 but the compat is lacking. PS2 is currently in bad video signal hell or compat hell on real hardware and thats not letting emus off the hook Compat and video errors are abound. PS2 in general needs alot of work no matter where you lie.....I lie on the Hardware side myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: