PC to Duplicator?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gotloveforall, Oct 14, 2008.

Oct 14, 2008

PC to Duplicator? by gotloveforall at 3:26 AM (2,406 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. gotloveforall
    OP

Newcomer gotloveforall Member

Canada
    I've always wondered how pirated game stores get so many copies of each game everyday to sell. Like P-Mall.
    Since the only way I know of is DVD->image>DVD, what are they doing that makes them d it faster/better?
    No, I am not looking to sell games, just wanting to add to my database of smart thing to know. That I an in turn impress other people with. lol

So, how do they do it?
    Are there already such PC->duplicator systems out there? google hates me. [​IMG]
    Or is there a way to add many drives to your PC and use a certain program to do the burning?
    Or is it done some other way?

*ponders on about other knowledgeable stuff...*

Also, as far as I know, standalone duplicators CANNOT copy Wii games. Am I wrong here?

2. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    ... Your question is confusing, but it only take one disc image, to burn million of copies of something so for instance.

1 disk image on 20 computers burned at 8x speed, so thats 20 DVD's every hmm 40 or so minutes,

So lets say new release.. ugh FIFA 09.

1 Disk image- over 20 computers 8x speed. and in about 5 hours they have 100 copies.

See?

I would assume its along those lines, or they have other companies do something similar to that and ship them.

3. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  4. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  5. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
  6. Screemer

Germany
    i would prefer an automated station with a capacity between 500 and 1000 discs. that would make life easier.

7. gotloveforall
    OP

Canada
    Really? I would have definately thought that they would be using a DVD duplicator hooked up to a PC somehow.
    Anyone else care to chip in?

Also, as far as I know, standalone duplicators CANNOT copy Wii games. Am I wrong here?

8. LegendaryXM90

Member LegendaryXM90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Haha, that's awesome.

9. Screemer

Germany
    as long as they support image-files (they have build-in hdd or lan) there shouldn't be a problem. you just need one original, dump it via a wii or a lg-drive, thats it. but i don't think they would even buy just one game...

10. gotloveforall
    OP

Canada
    Okay, that makes sense. But how would they select what IMG they want if an HDD has over 50 IMG files?

11. lagman

Mexico
    Same way you would do it, you select the one you want, only difference is that they burn it in 90 discs at the same time.

12. Screemer

Germany
    simple display and input system, like you see it in the pictures above, or over remote administration.

13. gotloveforall
    OP

Canada
    Oh, so all those Duplicators ARE connected to a PC somewhere?

14. lagman

Mexico
    The ones I've seen, yeah, I bet there are a lot more sophisticated but a PC is still needed somewhere.

15. gotloveforall
    OP

Canada
    Gotcha.
    Added to my tiny knowledge database. [​IMG]

How to figure out exactly HOW and what kinds of duplicators connect to PCs. Wonder if they all use ImgBurn. lol
    *continues his research*

Thanks for the info so far guys! [​IMG]

16. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have 3x Lite-On 20x DVD+-R (DL) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106265 and 8gb PC6400 Dual Channel 4x 2gb Running under Vista Ultimate and can easily burn 3 projects at a time. My buffer never drops and I get about a 97% success rate using cheaper media. I am also using a Phenom Black 9850 Quad Core. So the combination of the 3 is quite nice.

17. gotloveforall
    OP

Canada
    So you for example, would have 3 ImgBurn apps open at thew same time? Wow. Nice amount of RAM too. [​IMG]
    Still, I'm still trying to find out how they setup those 1 to 10 duplicators to a PC, as that seem like the best viable option, no?
    Using 6x 500GB HDD's, they can easily have all Wii backup ISO's ready at anytime. I'm guessing thats how they do it?

Or does a standalone Duplicator with HDD accept HDD that is pre-filled with ISO's just like plug 'n play for the Duplicator?
    Would the Standalone dupe accept ISO & IMG files or only a certain kind?

whoah, questions keep pouring out... washing your face really refreshes the mind. lol [​IMG]

18. Joewolf2

Newcomer Joewolf2 Member

United Kingdom
    I would take a guess that more often then not, these folks that run off the copies from a server computer with 50+ dvd writters attached to it via other computers or server stations, and run off the discs as required.

I remember about 6 month going to a shopping mall in Thailand and saw a small shop that had rows and rows of dvd and game covers. I placed an order and was asked to come back 30 mins later. More than enough time to run off some dvds. I went backa week later and ordered a lot more and was asked to wait an hour.

All in all guess it depends on the operation that the folks are running, some have hundreds of discs at site and some you wait for. I do find the ones that are at site tend to be lower quaility.