Gaming OS stuff

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I am a computer newb. I just built my first computer and am wondering what primary/secondary o's combination to use. Also what is Linux I know its an open source o's but.. And if you say Linux could you show me some stuff to do with it because I have seen Linux desktops that look really cool.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get Windows 7 and leave it at that.

I want to love Linux, I've tried to make it usable many times over, but it's just so user un-friendly. It's gotten better over the years with package managers, but anytime you go for help with an issue it's all command line (not a big deal, it's just words it's not scary) and essentially nonsensical packages that there is no way you'd be able to ever figure out on your own.
On top of that, media playback is a pain to get set up since a lot of distributions don't include things like MP3 support and require you to get them yourself, often after mucking through admin menus to enable 'non-free' (as in not open, not you pay for them) packages.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install Ubuntu. It's got a nice bit of software packaged with it and it's easy to get what isn't included. If you have any driver issues, message me. My last laptop had some minor issues with wifi drivers on it, but I got around them and it's an enjoyable OS.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
If you aren't sure... Get Windows 7. The best OS for newbs, unless you really want a Linux machine.

Then get Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

agreed

Rafinesque

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Linux Mint is a much better alternative for someone new to Linux (if Linux is what you want). It's based on Ubuntu, but has a lot of extras which make it much more user-friendly, such as video codecs already installed (Ubuntu doesn't include any patented software).

http://www.linuxmint.com/

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh... you shouldn't be picking your OS because you've seen some "cool desktops for it."

It all depends on your hardware and your own skill level with computers, which happens to be "computer newb" in your case. I definitely wouldn't recommend Linux for you, and especially not Mint.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You know, you can try Linux without installing anything, so you can decide if you need it and choose the distribution you really want.

There are 2 methods :
- Live CD distribution : allowing you to boot Linux on computer boot, seting the BIOS to launch CD or USB first instead of your HDD. all is then loaded in memory. Usually there's no HDD writing capability.
- Virtual Machine : you can emulate any OS on your installed OS using an OS emulator. You can launch Linux inside a program in your Windows7. Such program are VMWare or Virtual box.

There's also 2 methods for adding Linux drivers to windows to launch Linux programs, but that's not what you are looking for.
- Cygwin : Linux environment launch in console window. usually used to compile software, or launch a specific program. Linux environment variables are only accessible through Cygwin command line window.
- Colinux : install Linux kernel alongside Windows Kernel to launch linux programs inside windows without an emulated layer. (PS : I never tested this one)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL