PS1/2 OPL/Popstarter/USB Problem - "Failed to Load LAUNCHELF.CNF"

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Decided to try running PSX games off of a USB drive. The games show up in OPL but whenever I try to boot them I'm taken to "uLaunchElf" with the error message "Failed to load LAUNCHELF.CNF."

Most of the google results I've found for this message have nothing to do with the topic or are in a language I do not speak, so I must ask if anyone here has ever had this issue and if so, how did they fix it?

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, consider copying your uLaunchELF config file to your USB drive to see if that helps. Then make sure that you have all the proper files for running popstarter. (https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/Home) Since you are using a daily build of OPL, you do NOT need to create an XX.Name of Game.ELF file that corresponds with the Name of Game.VCD file. (This was needed for the stable builds; i.e. non-daily builds.)

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
First, consider copying your uLaunchELF config file to your USB drive to see if that helps. Then make sure that you have all the proper files for running popstarter. (https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/Home) Since you are using a daily build of OPL, you do NOT need to create an XX.Name of Game.ELF file that corresponds with the Name of Game.VCD file. (This was needed for the stable builds; i.e. non-daily builds.)
Do i need to place the config file anywhere in particular on the USB drive?

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went through every folder on my FMCB memory card and my HDD and I could not find a file with the same name as the one OPL wants. Not sure what to do now...

If you have never run uLaunchELF, this may be why. Run an instance of it and save the config file. On the memory card, it should be in SYS-CONF. On the hard drive, you should find it in __sysconf/FMCB (assuming you installed FHDB, a.k.a. FMCB onto the HDD)

If those locations do not have the config file, then within uLaunchELF, press SELECT until you see a screen with SELECT: Configure appears at the bottom of the list. Press SELECT, scroll down to "OK" and press whatever button to confirm the "OK" selection. The top of uLaunchELF should then show a message that the config file was saved (and where it was saved).

I hope that helps.

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you have never run uLaunchELF, this may be why. Run an instance of it and save the config file. On the memory card, it should be in SYS-CONF. On the hard drive, you should find it in __sysconf/FMCB (assuming you installed FHDB, a.k.a. FMCB onto the HDD)

If those locations do not have the config file, then within uLaunchELF, press SELECT until you see a screen with SELECT: Configure appears at the bottom of the list. Press SELECT, scroll down to "OK" and press whatever button to confirm the "OK" selection. The top of uLaunchELF should then show a message that the config file was saved (and where it was saved).

I hope that helps.
Created the Launch.cnf file, copied it to the root of my USB drive but it still takes me to ulaunch whenever i try to boot a PS1 game...

jamess1977

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many versions of OPL. Some require creating ELF files that launch the game. Other versions do not. Please specify which version you are using.
ive recently tried to set this up on my system but for the longest time the game files wouldnt even show up, now their both there but the first one when you go into it restarts the ps2 and the other the screen just stays black, a little help please

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night