Hacking Old Nintendo 3ds XL modded and problems

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Nintendo 3ds XL (old) 10.7 modded by using OOT3DHax to downgrade , mod and then upgrade it. Originally I had emunand and sysnand and somewhere along one of the guides it was suggested that I not use emunand...and I did another mod...but it has been months and my memory is not good....

When I try to execute things like run Decrypt9Wip, EmuNAND9 etc. the 3ds goes to a red screen, black screen and back to the homebrew launcher.

If I turn the 3ds off...take out the SD card...turn on the 3ds, the 3ds blue power light turns on and then goes off...so it doesn't boot unless the sd card is in.

How can I restore the 3ds back to factory so i can remod it.

I apologize if I haven't provided enough information...

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have A9LH installed. Try replacing the boot.3dsx on your SD with a new one from here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, sorry to double post, but what CFW are you using? Luma3DS, RxTools, ReiNAND, etc?

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have A9LH installed. Try replacing the boot.3dsx on your SD with a new one from here.

Also, sorry to double post, but what CFW are you using? Luma3DS, RxTools, ReiNAND, etc?

Sadly I don't know for sure. I did a couple things since your response . I downgraded to 9.2 and grabbed the right file from the link you sent me.

I can now run oot3d and launch homebrew launcher.

I really should google to see how I find out what CFW I have but if you have quick instructions for checking...

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly I don't know for sure. I did a couple things since your response . I downgraded to 9.2 and grabbed the right file from the link you sent me.

I can now run oot3d and launch homebrew launcher.

I really should google to see how I find out what CFW I have but if you have quick instructions for checking...
You can check your SD card and see what custom firmware files you have. You don't need to downgrade since you already have A9LH.

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Looking at the SDCARD I see an RXTools Folder...but there are about 52 folders/files on this card. I wish I would have documented what I did a few months ago.

Shouldn't I be able to boot the 3ds without the sdcard in it?

Last edited by Crackerboy,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Looking at the SDCARD I see an RXTools Folder...but there are about 52 folders/files on this card. I wish I would have documented what I did a few months ago.

Shouldn't I be able to boot the 3ds without the sdcard in it?
You have a9lh. You don't need OoT anymore, as you can install the homebrew launcher on your home menu as an icon.
You definitely don't need any rxTools files or folders, rxTools isn't even compatible with a9lh.
Get the Luma3DS files and copy them onto your SD card. If the Luma3DS files didn't contain a luma folder, create one, then also put a payloads folder inside that. Get emuNAND9 (you can download it from the guide) and rename it x_e9 (whichever key you like) and put it in the payloads folder. Do the same with hourglass9 and name it start_h9. Start up your console while holding x. It should say at the bottom of the top screen that either SD card is set up for emuNAND or no emuNAND detected. If you have an emuNAND, restart your console holding start. Make a backup of your emuNAND. Unmount your SD card (select I think) and copy all your files to your computer. Put it back in and remount and restart holding x. Format your SD for no emuNAND. Copy files back on. Startup holding start. Choose to restore to sysNAND and pick emuNAND.bin or whatever you named the backup. When finished, start console normally. The luma config menu will appear, choose force a9lh detection and autoboot sysNAND. Start to boot console.
Phew. Now, if you didn't have an emuNAND, just do what was above (setting luma config).

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a9lh. You don't need OoT anymore, as you can install the homebrew launcher on your home menu as an icon.
You definitely don't need any rxTools files or folders, rxTools isn't even compatible with a9lh.
Get the Luma3DS files and copy them onto your SD card. If the Luma3DS files didn't contain a luma folder, create one, then also put a payloads folder inside that. Get emuNAND9 (you can download it from the guide) and rename it x_e9 (whichever key you like) and put it in the payloads folder. Do the same with hourglass9 and name it start_h9. Start up your console while holding x. It should say at the bottom of the top screen that either SD card is set up for emuNAND or no emuNAND detected. If you have an emuNAND, restart your console holding start. Make a backup of your emuNAND. Unmount your SD card (select I think) and copy all your files to your computer. Put it back in and remount and restart holding x. Format your SD for no emuNAND. Copy files back on. Startup holding start. Choose to restore to sysNAND and pick emuNAND.bin or whatever you named the backup. When finished, start console normally. The luma config menu will appear, choose force a9lh detection and autoboot sysNAND. Start to boot console.
Phew. Now, if you didn't have an emuNAND, just do what was above (setting luma config).

Thank you so much. Before I begin and since I jumped the gun and downgraded to 9.2 Should I re-upgrade to a newer firmware? 10.5/10.7/11 ??
What would you recommendation be. I've been looking for places to download firmware but no luck so far.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you so much. Before I begin and since I jumped the gun and downgraded to 9.2 Should I re-upgrade to a newer firmware? 10.5/10.7/11 ??
What would you recommendation be. I've been looking for places to download firmware but no luck so far.
Since you have a9lh you can update to the newest firmware (using system settings). But check if you have an emuNAND and get rid of it before updating.

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you have a9lh you can update to the newest firmware (using system settings). But check if you have an emuNAND and get rid of it before updating.

I followed your instructions...still when I launch homebrew browser and try to launch Decrypt9WIP...it flashes out to a black/red screen and then back to homebrew...

I'm sure I've done something wrong now

D

Deleted User

I followed your instructions...still when I launch homebrew browser and try to launch Decrypt9WIP...it flashes out to a black/red screen and then back to homebrew...

I'm sure I've done something wrong now
You're not supposed to boot D9 from the homebrew launcher, you're supposed to launch Hourglass9/emuNAND9 on boot through the method Quantumcat explained.

D

Deleted User

Hourglass9 and emuNAND9 do the same thing as Decrypt9?
Yes, but some features are in only one of the two instead of having everything in one program. I believe there are also things they can do that Decrypt9 can't.

Crackerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for not responding sooner...having some health issues with family.

I was able to perform the steps that Quantumcat provided and was able to do what I needed to do. The 3DS is working perfectly again.

Thank you so much!!

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool