Official GameCube left analogue stick replacement?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I'd like to replace the analogue stick on my Wavebird GameCube controller so as such, what are my options as far as an official replacement? I'm not sure I could trust third party replacements as the ones I had all went loose.

The reason I'm posting it on the Switch section is because, well, GameCube is compatible on the Switch so it's suitable to ask here. :)

2. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    I've heard of people buying a new wired controller and swapping over the control stick.

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    May I ask why you're replacing it?

4. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    I've had the official potentiometer (not centering) became loose, hence the need for replacement. I don't think you can get official ones anymore, as Nintendo no longer manufacture GCN controllers. Now the SSB4 controllers on the other hands, I don't know if they even use the same version of analog stick as actual GCN or wavebird controllers. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here, what are you trying to replace? The actual Analog stick (I think it's called potentiometer)or just the thumb stick that goes onto the analog stick? Either way you're most likely stuck going third party, unless you want to part with a hefty sum of money for the SSB4 GCN controller.

5. warmo161

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    I bought a wavebird the other year, however when I opened the box, it was very well used, I cleaned it up and replaced the analogue sticks with a spare GC controller I had (The internals are nearly the same)

I assume the internals on the new smash bros GC controllers would be the same too for compatibility reasons and that GC controllers were perfect allready XD
    I think your best bet is just to hunt the internet for used/new GC controllers until somthing comes up

Another thing to look into is the 'Hori Battle Pad' thats a GC controller wierd up as a classic controller, could you harvest parts from that I wonder?

Last edited by warmo161, Jun 28, 2017
  6. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    gamecube is compatible on Switch? Oh really :teach:

Nevertheless, I replaces mine with a secondhand one from the aftermarket.