Gaming Oblivion on a USB

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I recently bought Oblivion in the summer sale and in as few words as possible, its shit on my PC. So since I have a friends PC to use I was going to put in on a USB Drive (its large enough to hold it, and dont tell me about the speed, I KNOW.) Even though he has Steam on his PC, and I logged into my account and I put Oblivion in the steamapp's common folder, it refuses to let me play. If I use the launcher then the only option highlighted is the exit and ElderScrolls.com options. If I try a direct launch it doesnt open, no errors or anything, just wont open. When I tryed opening it on my PC it works fine (even if its on the USB) so that makes me think that Steams Anti-Piracy is kicking in. I also try one of those "CD Cracks" didnt work. Halp!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's possible you need to do some sort of "activation" process on the other computer, by commencing the download on that computer, then cancel it once it actually starts to download, then try running it.

Reactions: 1 person

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The most likely reason for it not working previously through Steam was that you most likely missed copying the Oblivion ncf files from your steamapps folder when you copied the Oblivion files. GCFs, NCFs and/or ACFs are files that are needed in order for Steam to recognise the existence of games in the steamapps folder so in the future you might want to copy corresponding files whenever you copy a game to another drive and transfer them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...