Oblivion on a USB

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by The Milkman, Jul 18, 2012.

Jul 18, 2012

Oblivion on a USB by The Milkman at 8:20 PM (442 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. The Milkman
    OP

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Hey guys, I recently bought Oblivion in the summer sale and in as few words as possible, its shit on my PC. So since I have a friends PC to use I was going to put in on a USB Drive (its large enough to hold it, and dont tell me about the speed, I KNOW.) Even though he has Steam on his PC, and I logged into my account and I put Oblivion in the steamapp's common folder, it refuses to let me play. If I use the launcher then the only option highlighted is the exit and ElderScrolls.com options. If I try a direct launch it doesnt open, no errors or anything, just wont open. When I tryed opening it on my PC it works fine (even if its on the USB) so that makes me think that Steams Anti-Piracy is kicking in. I also try one of those "CD Cracks" didnt work. Halp!

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It's possible you need to do some sort of "activation" process on the other computer, by commencing the download on that computer, then cancel it once it actually starts to download, then try running it.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Milkman
    OP

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Thanks! It worked!

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    The most likely reason for it not working previously through Steam was that you most likely missed copying the Oblivion ncf files from your steamapps folder when you copied the Oblivion files. GCFs, NCFs and/or ACFs are files that are needed in order for Steam to recognise the existence of games in the steamapps folder so in the future you might want to copy corresponding files whenever you copy a game to another drive and transfer them.

5. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    You know you could just install Steam directly on the USB drive. That is what I did at my college in order to play it and just downloaded the game at college to the USB.