Nyko PP+ leaves a gap?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DiscostewSM, Aug 27, 2011.

Aug 27, 2011

Nyko PP+ leaves a gap? by DiscostewSM at 7:25 PM (973 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    When inserted, on the edge where the tabs are, there is a small gap. So much in fact that in order for me to tighten the screws, I have to push the battery itself in for the opposite edge to sit inside. After that, the edge still has a gap, but only on the side where the battery connects to the 3DS. IMO, the portion sticking out (that gets inserted into the 3DS) seems to be slightly misaligned. I'm kind of worried that this might cause harm to my 3DS because it is stressing those sides.

Does anyone else have this happen with their Nyko PP+, and should it be something to worry about?

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    only thing that happened to me was I wasn't able to tighten one of the screws, but that's nothing big. I'd say that you have the right fears since the gaps near the battery, I don't think that Nyko did a good job with the screw alignment.

3. LuckySteves

Newcomer LuckySteves Member

Canada
    I have the same problem with mine. Literally identical. I don't particularly worry about it, if it's a big problem, I've still got the original battery and case if I need to swap it again.

I've had it on for a few months now and nothing has happened; it may just be a ticking time bomb, but it's worth it for double battery.

4. Hydreigon

Member Hydreigon Isn't that DELICIOUS!?

Antarctica
    Now that you mention it, my PP+ does leave a small gap... [​IMG]

I've had my PP+ for about 6 weeks already, and I haven't experienced any problems, though.

5. DiscostewSM
    OP

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I have an extra concern (rather than making a new thread, I'll just add it here).

According to the manual, when the PP+ battery is in the cradle, it shows red when charging and green when it is done charging. By this, I'm assuming that it is supposed to change from red to green the moment the battery is fully charged while in the cradle. Problem is that I'm not seeing that transition. From the moment I place the battery in the cradle, it will either light up and stay red if the battery could use even a slight charge, or light up and stay green if the battery was already charged. It is like the only time it can tell if the battery needs a charge or not is the moment the battery is placed in the cradle rather than at anytime it is in it. This scares me because I'm thinking it might "overcharge" it.

6. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    I don't remember who, but one user said that using the charge base had fried his 3ds's motherboard as iit was overcharging, so I don't use it anymore. it's not like it was ever registering in my 3ds anyways, it always seemed to be half full if I didn't plug the AC adapter directly in it.

7. gumbyx84

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That would be me. Supposedly the charge bases included with the first PP+ shipment had shorting problems. I emailed Nyko tech support a few weeks ago and have yet to hear back from them. ATM I do not plan on using it anytime soon. If I don't hear from Nyko by next month, I'm just going to buy a new one, return the old one defective, and sell the working on on craigslist. I usually a supporter of Nyko, but if they can't be bothered to get back to me after one of their defective products screwed up my $250 (at the time handheld, they don't need my buisness.

If not for this issue, I would without question recommend the PP+. If you still decide to get it, I recommend NOT getting one with a dock. If I change my mind and go back to using it, I will not use the dock.

PS I will say that a friend of mine has a PP+ (bought it on my recommendation) and hasn't had a problem with it. ATM I'm not going to keep the replacement because I'm pissed at Nyko. Take my words with a grain of salt.