Homebrew WIP nxdumptool - Nintendo Switch Dump Tool

GBK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Did you legally acquire these games? Sounds like you installed XCI to NSP conversions, which would explain why even though the options that tinker with NCAs are disabled, the signatures still don't match.
No I used Tinfoil + JITS to download a game then dumped it with nxdumptool, for the curiosity to make a dump that looks "legit" like the ones on JITS. I thought if I downloaded and installed it via Tinfoil, it must have passed the NCA sig check. Then how come the dump I made can not pass? I can dump cartridges alright, but I don't know how to download my purchased digital games to my modded switch without getting banned.

Last edited by GBK,

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Signature checks probably aren't enforced on games downloaded from Tinfoil itself because they come from a "known good source". The only reason why signatures from a dumped game via nxdumptool wouldn't match is because the game was tampered with before installation.

GBK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Signature checks probably aren't enforced on games downloaded from Tinfoil itself because they come from a "known good source". The only reason why signatures from a dumped game via nxdumptool wouldn't match is because the game was tampered with before installation.

Thank you for the explanation!

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I used Tinfoil + JITS to download a game then dumped it with nxdumptool, for the curiosity to make a dump that looks "legit" like the ones on JITS. I thought if I downloaded and installed it via Tinfoil, it must have passed the NCA sig check. Then how come the dump I made can not pass? I can dump cartridges alright, but I don't know how to download my purchased digital games to my modded switch without getting banned.
Which game specifically? 99% of the content we host is signed nszs, however some of it isnt available as nsp so it might be an xci. The xci wouldn't give you an error on install via jits since its signed, but if you dump it as an nsp the signature would break. Thats the most likely explanation I can think of, tinfoil should still give unsigned errors for games even when using a known good source (for example the original unsigned mario 3d world leak required allowing unsigned code even via jits)

GBK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Which game specifically? 99% of the content we host is signed nszs, however some of it isnt available as nsp so it might be an xci. The xci wouldn't give you an error on install via jits since its signed, but if you dump it as an nsp the signature would break. Thats the most likely explanation I can think of, tinfoil should still give unsigned errors for games even when using a known good source (for example the original unsigned mario 3d world leak required allowing unsigned code even via jits)

i'm testing on Skylanders Imaginators and yes it's a xcz source.

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm testing on Skylanders Imaginators and yes it's a xcz source.
Thats the reason then. The xci on jits is completely clean, but when its installed and dumped as an nsp its now a convert which doesn't have a clean signature. Try the same with with an nsp, it should work properly.

MarvinXLII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, what exactly does "holding R while booting the game" do differently when it comes to nxdumptool? Most of my games worked fine without doing it, but from what I can tell, one did require it. Otherwise it would give me an error about not having enough memory for "full decompressed NSO in Program NCA".

I guess holding R is just better practice?

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just curious, what exactly does "holding R while booting the game" do differently when it comes to nxdumptool? Most of my games worked fine without doing it, but from what I can tell, one did require it. Otherwise it would give me an error about not having enough memory for "full decompressed NSO in Program NCA".

Holding R while booting up a game gives homebrew more memory, compared to applets like the Album, since the console believes it's playing an actual game. This gives homebrew the resources it needs to perform specific tasks, like being able to name new backups in Checkpoint or being able to properly dump a game in NXDumpTool's case.

Applet Mode has less memory available; game mode has significantly more.

Reactions: MarvinXLII

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain

This is known as a title takeover or application override. It gives homebrew applications access to a ~3.5 GiB memory pool - and yes, even though some people may disagree, it's always the better practice when it comes to homebrew launching on the Switch.

Running homebrew apps under applet mode only provides them with access to a ~300-something MiB memory pool. Depending on what you want to do, it may not be desirable.

darkwolfx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, has anyone run into the issue "retrieveCnmtNcaData: invalid AES Crypt type for CNMT NCA section #0! (0x01)" or "readNCADatabyContentID: invalid parameters to read data from NCA!"?
It is just happening in some games and some others it doesn't.
I already tried latest nxdumptool, latest lockpick via RCM twice, prod.keys are there, latest Atmosphere, via Sysnand.
The options enabled are to Split Output, Verify Dump and Remove console specific data.

Can't recall if I converted them from XCI to NSP as it has been a while, but could this be the issue from what I was reading before?
Thanks.

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, has anyone run into the issue "retrieveCnmtNcaData: invalid AES Crypt type for CNMT NCA section #0! (0x01)" or "readNCADatabyContentID: invalid parameters to read data from NCA!"?
It is just happening in some games and some others it doesn't.
I already tried latest nxdumptool, latest lockpick via RCM twice, prod.keys are there, latest Atmosphere, via Sysnand.
The options enabled are to Split Output, Verify Dump and Remove console specific data.

Can't recall if I converted them from XCI to NSP as it has been a while, but could this be the issue from what I was reading before?
Thanks.
Interesting. Didn't know there are games with unencrypted Partition FS sections for the Meta NCA.

It's pretty much fixed in the rewrite due to the way things work right now. But legacy nxdumptool needs to be updated, yeah. I don't have too much time at hand right now, so if you feel like using the rewrite PoCs, feel free to pop over the nxdumptool Discord server (there's a link for it in the nxdumptool GitHub repo).

ToastGuerta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, i'm trying to dump a copy of pokemon shield i have on my SD card for randomizing purposes and I can dump exeFS just fine but when i try to dump romFS it'll get to about 92% and stop giving me this error:

recursiveDumpRomFsFile: failed to open output file "sdmc:/switch/nxdumptool/RomFS/Pok_mon Shield v0 (01008DB008C2000) (BASE)/bin/pml/grow_table_0/grow_00.bin"!

i've already redone all of my title keys and prod keys with the most recent version of lockpick payload and nro, my nxdumptool is up to date and still i get nothin', any solution?

ToastGuerta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ToastGuerta why are you dumping it in individual parts and not as a single nsp dump?

any are you running the app as title overide?

in the video i was watching for randomizing pokemon shield, the guy had dumped the exefs file and the romfs file, i tried using the randomzier on a full nsp but it didn't work.

as for the title override, i was in the regular homebrew menu, not the applet mode.

edit: i have tried to do the dump from applet mode and it gives me the same error for the same file

Last edited by ToastGuerta,

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
@DarkMatterCore Just a question - why to manually decrypt and read romfs data instead of using fsOpenFileSystemWithId function and left all crypt operations to system? It will allow to use app without prod.keys
Due to FS access permissions, it's not usually possible to mount the RomFS from another title at runtime. You either do this, or force the user to launch nxdumptool by taking over the title they wish to dump the RomFS from - the decision was pretty clear to me.

Doing it this way also makes it possible to do other interesting things, like dumping base application data even if an update has already been installed, or dumping data from other NCA sections that may otherwise be hidden (e.g. logo PFS).

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

Johnmariozelda99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good morning. I was hoping to ask you if you have any idea of when nxdumptool will be updated to 12.0? I know it literally just came out yesterday, and I'm honestly not trying to rush you or anything. Your homebrew is by far the most important piece of software on my switch and I appreciate the work that you do. Any timeline would be absolutely great. Thanks

pofehof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good morning. I was hoping to ask you if you have any idea of when nxdumptool will be updated to 12.0? I know it literally just came out yesterday, and I'm honestly not trying to rush you or anything. Your homebrew is by far the most important piece of software on my switch and I appreciate the work that you do. Any timeline would be absolutely great. Thanks

For the time being, if you really need to dump something, version 1.1.12 works well with AMS 0.19.0/FW 12.0.0.

Reactions: Johnmariozelda99

Johnmariozelda99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the time being, if you really need to dump something, version 1.1.12 works well with AMS 0.19.0/FW 12.0.0.
Well I'll be. That works. I wonder why 1.1.12 works on Atmosphere 0.19.0 but 1.1.13 doesn't. Definitely odd. Now if I could find a save manager that works on AMS 0.19.0 Id be set

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night