Hacking Not sure where I've gone wrong with my hack!

DannyboyUK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to create a thread for this or ask in the Newbie's Paradise thread, please remove if I have made the wrong choice here!

I began following the 3ds.hacks.guide 'Seedminer' process for my 11.9.0-42E New 3DS XL yesterday and everything appeared to go well until the 'Finalizing Setup' part (of course!)

I couldn't get GodMode9 to boot properly, had a black touch screen. Followed the OpenFirmInstaller/fastboot3DS method to get that sorted.

Was literally at the final stage 'Section VIII - Backup Essential Files' where I am supposed to search in the M: Memory Virtual for my boot9.bin and it isn't there. I can only assume that I have done something wrong with the Flipnote Studio exploit. I tried doing the exploit again but now I just get a green screen as soon as it executes. Presumably, I have messed up the installation of the boot9strap?

As things stand:

• Holding Select at power-on gives me fastboot3DS
  • Holding Start launches GodMode9
  • Black screen if powered on normally
  • Can boot to 3DS home screen by loading boot.firm from SYSNAND CTRNAND
  • I have Updater for Luma3DS, Homebrew Launcher, FBI, Fast and Simple Save Manager, Anenome3DS available on home screen.
Can anybody kindly help me dig my way out of this hole please!!?

Last edited by DannyboyUK,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you can boot your 3ds xl by loading "boot.firm" then you have successfully installed Boot9strap (b9s).
Not anymore. B9S is overwritten when installing fastboot3DS. But fastboot3DS does the same and more.

Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to create a thread for this or ask in the Newbie's Paradise thread, please remove if I have made the wrong choice here!
Nah. This is fine imho.

Was literally at the final stage 'Section VIII - Backup Essential Files' where I am supposed to search in the M: Memory Virtual for my boot9.bin and it isn't there. I can only assume that I have done something wrong with the Flipnote Studio exploit. I tried doing the exploit again but now I just get a green screen as soon as it executes. Presumably, I have messed up the installation of the boot9strap?
You won't need that exploit ever again because the installation was successful. When Luma is loaded via B9S (or fastboot3DS) some other exploits are broken anyway.

Have you set up the boot slot correctly? (Newest installer should set up slot 1 to autoboot Luma SD:/boot.firm)
Check this anyway:
  • boot.firm (Luma 9.1) in the root of the SD?
  • start fastboot3DS→ [+] Bootsetup…Setup [slot1]…Select [slot1] firm
About GodMode9 and [M:] MEMORY VIRTUAL/boot9.bin

It is missing on my O2DS with fastboot3DS too. I do not know if this is intended. On the O3DSXL and N3DSXL (both B9S) boot9.bin is there.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

DannyboyUK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks KleinesSinchen!

I booted with Select and was surprised to see Luma boot. It seems that I boot to Luma with SD inserted and fastboot3DS with no SD...

There was a boot.firm in my SD root, though I wasn't sure which that was so overwrote it with the one from the Luma zip. I followed your instructions and selected that one in fastboot boot setup. The system is now booting to the normal 3DS home screen. Is that right, or should it actually be loading Luma?

My concern with the lack of boot9.bin is that it seems to be pretty important for making a backup of your vital data...

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks KleinesSinchen!

I booted with Select and was surprised to see Luma boot. It seems that I boot to Luma with SD inserted and fastboot3DS with no SD...

There was a boot.firm in my SD root, though I wasn't sure which that was so overwrote it with the one from the Luma zip. I followed your instructions and selected that one in fastboot boot setup. The system is now booting to the normal 3DS home screen. Is that right, or should it actually be loading Luma?

My concern with the lack of boot9.bin is that it seems to be pretty important for making a backup of your vital data...
You see Luma settings only when starting the first time (configuration is written) or when holding (SELECT) while booting. You can verify Luma is loaded by Pressing the Rosalina combination (L)+(Down)+(SELECT) after the system if fully booted (Home Menu).

I'm pretty new to fastboot3DS myself and surprised about the missing virtual file. But the good news is: This is not a console-unique file. We can't share it here (copyright), but you do not miss something that can't be replaced. (NAND-backup is more important).

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When fastboot3DS is installed,
  1. Turn on the 3DS → hold (HOME) button → fastboot3DS → [+] Miscellaneous...[+] Dump bootroms & OTP.
  2. Look in the sdmc:/3ds folder for boot9.bin, boot11.bin, and otp.bin.
Also look for the decrypted version of opt.bin called opt_dec.mem in the [M:] MEMORY VIRTUAL. You might need to install boot9strap to get access to it. Also worth keeping is the essential.exefs found in [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

DannyboyUK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You see Luma settings only when starting the first time (configuration is written) or when holding (SELECT) while booting. You can verify Luma is loaded by Pressing the Rosalina combination (L)+(Down)+(SELECT) after the system if fully booted (Home Menu).

I'm pretty new to fastboot3DS myself and surprised about the missing virtual file. But the good news is: This is not a console-unique file. We can't share it here (copyright), but you do not miss something that can't be replaced. (NAND-backup is more important).

I do indeed get Luma when I use the (L)+(Down)+(Select) combination. So it would appear that everything is working as it should be! Now I just have to work out how to get my ROMS going, though I'm sure that information is easy to find... Thanks so much for your assistance!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When fastboot3DS is installed,
  1. Turn on the 3DS → hold (HOME) button → fastboot3DS → [+] Miscellaneous...[+] Dump bootroms & OTP.
  2. Look in the sdmc:/3ds folder for boot9.bin, boot11.bin, and otp.bin.
Also look for the decrypted version of opt.bin called opt_dec.mem in the [M:] MEMORY VIRTUAL. You might need to install boot9strap to get access to it. Also worth keeping is the essential.exefs found in [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL.

Holding HOME didn't seem to load fastboot3DS but I got it by holding Select when powering on with my SD card removed. Had to put the SD Card back in but everything seemed to dump successfully. Thank you!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do indeed get Luma when I use the (L)+(Down)+(Select) combination. So it would appear that everything is working as it should be! Now I just have to work out how to get my ROMS going, though I'm sure that information is easy to find... Thanks so much for your assistance!

Holding HOME didn't seem to load fastboot3DS but I got it by holding Select when powering on with my SD card removed. Had to put the SD Card back in but everything seemed to dump successfully. Thank you!
Something is wrong with your fastboot3DS installation. You should by default be able to access it with (HOME) button.

Unless you purposely reassign it to something else, (SELECT) should typically boot Luma3DS v9.1 configuration.
  • Look in the [+] Boot setup...[✓] Setup [slot #]... [ ] Set [slot #] keycombo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.