Hacking Homebrew Noob at the PSP modding scene

doot_tha_loop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently ordered a PSP [it hasn't got here yet, so maybe a better time to ask questions about it would be when it gets here?^^; I dunno, I wanna be prepared ahead of time..], anyways, I was doing research online on how to do the custom firmware to make PSP's play ISO's/CSO's, and I found a few nice tutorials. The PSP I ordered, I know it said on Ebay, is a v1.5, and I was wondering, is it necessary to upgrade it to the v3.52 M33 in order to make it play the ISO and CSO games? Or does v1.5 automatically play those? I'm just not clear on that part, and I don't want to mess something up before I go ahead and upgrade the firmware >< Thanks in advance!

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is not necessary, though the higher/newer versions of Custom Firmware allow booting ISO/CSO directly from the menu. If you use 1.5, you will need to use a separate loader.

doot_tha_loop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, I got my PSP in the mail today, but I'm having an issue trying to upgrade it to 3.52 M33. Once again, it's a v1.5 PSP, but, when I run the KExploitPatcher [suppose to run it on 1.5 PSPs], I get this error message: "this application does not apply to this firmware". Huh? I know I have a white Japanese PSP, but other than that, I don't think there's anything different about it that would affect the firmware. So my question is, is it okay to go ahead and run the M33 firmware creator and stuffs, without having to mess with the patcher? Also, I am not aware if it has been simply upgraded and then downgraded before, the System says v1.5. Thanks for your help!

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, I got my PSP in the mail today, but I'm having an issue trying to upgrade it to 3.52 M33. Once again, it's a v1.5 PSP, but, when I run the KExploitPatcher [suppose to run it on 1.5 PSPs], I get this error message: "this application does not apply to this firmware". Huh? I know I have a white Japanese PSP, but other than that, I don't think there's anything different about it that would affect the firmware. So my question is, is it okay to go ahead and run the M33 firmware creator and stuffs, without having to mess with the patcher? Also, I am not aware if it has been simply upgraded and then downgraded before, the System says v1.5. Thanks for your help!

The patcher is only needed because the eboot included in the M33 3.52 installation zip is in 1.0 format. If you don't run the patch you won't be able to run the firmware creator because it is in the wrong format.

You could always try using this SeiPsp Tool to convert the eboot from its current 1.0 format into a kxploited 1.5 version and then run it.

Just to make sure everything is ok on your Psp try running some other homebrew that is already in the 1.5 kxploited format.

m0nk3y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i have no clue about the problem your having but about the other question you asked

it is highly recommended to go to 3.51m33 or 3.71m33, whichever you prefer.

I remember playing games on devhook in the old school days, what you basically did was have this program which was like a gui and load your games from there.

But, with custom firmware it's direct load from the game menu, no other programs.

Hope you get your problem resolved

neo_hito

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
exsphere.net
XP
Country
what the? from what i remember, most cfw installer provides the installer in 1.5 kernel form, which means it runs directly on 1.5fw psps.
Or it would even have a 1.0 and 1.5 folder in the zip file which notes which is what.

after a quick check, they're for 1.5... i think.
and it'd probably be easier if you get the easy installers for 3.71m33 lying around somewhere in the web.

neo_hito

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
exsphere.net
XP
Country
as far as i know it is a compacted iso

a compressed iso format, like how a rar file works?

yep. sometimes it could even compress about 50% of the iso size with some games.
using cso supposedly affects performance (loading time etc.) but its not that noticeable.
i cso'ed most of my games
smile.gif

Kelli

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hi, I also got my psp. I have fw 2.71 and installed the latest devhook. When I try to start it, it hangs some time at the psp logo and then the psp just shuts down.
huh.gif
Am I doing something wrong, or why it isn't working? Homebrew works fine...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy