Hacking Non-moddable Wii?

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an original Wii that had a WiiKey running in it reasonably well but it started to be very picky about discs until it wouldn't read them AT ALL. My modder said that he was unsure of what happened. He's modded many friends' Wiis and they're all still working perfectly.

My Wii still plays original discs perfectly. What could the problem be and what should my next step be? Could he have somehow damaged the connection points rendering my Wii non-moddable?

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's your laser.
A burnt disc gives off a reflection rate of about 60% of what a retail disc will and that's if you're using really good expensive blank media. So, as your laser dies the first thing it stops being able to read is burnt media but originals will still play.
Need a replacement laser is all.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's your laser.
A burnt disc gives off a reflection rate of about 60% of what a retail disc will and that's if you're using really good expensive blank media. So, as your laser dies the first thing it stops being able to read is burnt media but originals will still play.

Will using a mod chip and burned games cause the laser to die?

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's your laser.

It will die quicker than it would if you played only retail games yes. Just use good media like verbs or taiyo yuden. But lasers for the wii are fairly cheap so don't worry about it
smile.gif

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's your laser.

It will die quicker than it would if you played only retail games yes. Just use good media like verbs or taiyo yuden. But lasers for the wii are fairly cheap so don't worry about it
smile.gif

Where would you get a replacement laser?

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd also be interested in trying a replacement laser. I'd be shocked if that was the problem though - I'd used the Wii for less than 100 hours.

ledats

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
It's your laser.

smile.gif

Where would you get a replacement laser?
Jeez...how about google it? For example:
http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=Wii+re...ent+laser&meta=

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd also be interested in trying a replacement laser. I'd be shocked if that was the problem though - I'd used the Wii for less than 100 hours.

Is it a launch date wii? Those are, for whatever reason, especially susceptible to laser failure very quickly.
Couldn't tell you, unfortunately. I got it from Australia some months after the launch.
I'm going to send it to a modder who also stocks replacement lasers and replacement drives.
I'd be bewildered if they couldn't do anything for me.
wtf.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water