No video, possible brick situation...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by niccador, Jun 7, 2010.

Jun 7, 2010
  1. niccador
    OP

Newcomer niccador Newbie

United States
    Good evening, all.

Had a Wii brought to me to work on -- which turned out to have no video. The Wii turns on, it would appear, and the TV flickers in response as it normally would just before it should bring up the health and safety screen.

After looking up the problem, and seeing that most responses dealt with bricks, I decided to try the savemiifrii method, which successfully reported that the system was on 3.1U.

I find it a little hard to believe that the owner hasn't been online or at least hasn't played any games newer than 3.1 firmware, so I strongly suspect that this is the result of a failed mod. (On the other hand, if the laser failed or they were using a badly scratched disc during a system update, I suppose the same thing could have happened.)

My question, though, is: If this system has been improperly modded and/or downgraded, am I risking further damage -- and unrecoverable brick -- by simply dropping a retail disc with newer firmware?

If so, what additional steps/precautions do I need to take here, in order to attempt to restore this thing to a functional state?

2. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    From the available info, I'll take a guess that it's a banner brick. I'd wait for a few more opinions, though.

3. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    a retail disk w/ 3.2 update of the same region of the wii might do the trick.

you can also check if the said wii is chiped that can give you lots of alternatives if it's an autoboot chip

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    A downgrade to 3.1 sounds unlikely, most people would downgrade to 3.2. Downgrading is stupid and only leads to trouble and bricks!

I think if, then only SSBB has the 3.2 update, and only some newer games have 3.4 or higher on them. Anyways, this is one of the rare situations where a modchip can be used to unbrick the Wii. On 3.1 the IOS have the trucha bug ==> It's possible to boot homebrew dvds. (which need to be patched with the IOS Version patcher to use IOS35, because there's no IOS36 on the wii)

So i advise strongly against updating the wii with a game disc until the brick is fixed, as that would eliminate the possibility to use a modchip to unbrick it.(unless it's updated to 3.2, but like i said, i'm not sure if there's a game with it)

5. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    It's a banner brick... If it has a chip then just boot wad manager and delete the offending wad... If it doesn't have a chip then install one for a while.