Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nexus_One_logo.png

download01nexusone.jpg

So, Google has finally brought out its own phone into the market eh? Lets see if this new android powered phone is a threat to the iPhone or is it just a pile of stool? Lets find out!

Shipping
The shipping of this thing was EXCELLENT, It came here in about 3 days, but weirdly they said it was coming in a week. Overall, the shipping was awesome.

Out of the box
First thing you see is the phone, But when you look under the phone you will see all of its accesories, includes a set of heaphones, a usb transfer cable, a charger with a plug on the end, a set of instructions, a little case, and a 4GB Micro SD card inside the phone.

nexusone1.png

nexusone2.png

nexusone3.png

nexusone4.png

Design
Hands down, this is one of the best looking phones on the market. I'd put it right up there with the iPhone. The sleep/wake and on/off button is stuck up on the top of the device, which I actually like quite a lot. It's built in such a way that it's pretty much impossible to accidentally set off in your pocket.
On bottom of the monitor are four touch buttons with haptic feedback. Some people have complained that these buttons register touches poorly. I haven't noticed any issues myself. Almost every time I tap one, it registers. I've had a couple of failures, but no more than that. The trackball is pretty much superfluous, though.
Screen:
I am in love with this screen. Every image is crisp and crystal clear, the colors are impossibly bright and vivid. OLED screens are the best damned thing since sliced bread. Until the iPhone gets one (hopefully this year) this is an area the Nexus One has unquestionable superiority in.

Browsing
The browsing experience on my Nexus One is incredible, Android's browser is fairly uninteresting, but it gets the job done and it works as quickly as it can with a 3G network. I'm able to keep multiple windows open on the Nexus One (with other apps running in the background) and not notice any slowdown in my browsing.
Some Nexus One owners are experiencing periodic 3G difficulties, and I regret to say that I am among them. Whether this is a hardware or software issue is inconsequential. It's infuriating to the user and Google should have spotted this issue before their phone launched. This issue is compounded by Google's terrible customer support.
Attention you open-source hippies; you need to rein yourselves back a bit and spend a few minutes thinking about your brand. I understand that you all want to make something crazy awesome and advanced, push it out, and then leap forward to the next big thing. But you still owe a duty to your customers to make sure this crap doesn't happen.

Multi-tasking
Fantastic. I've gone running several times with a GPS jogging-tracker running along with my music player. Periodically I'd stop to check my email or send a text message or something, acts which would normally lag terribly due to the processor strain. I noticed no such strain on the Nexus One; it took everything I could throw at it and kept on runnin.

As A Phone
Voice quality for the user is good, not great. However, the Nexus One's new noise-cancelling technology is fantastic and works startlingly well. I think this will be standard on every cell phone sold in a few years.

Speech-To-Text

This is the first time that Speech-to-Text has been a truly viable option for widespread use on a phone. I use it constantly. When I don't want to type out a text message or IM, I just speak into the microphone. Searching is easier than ever now; with two clicks, I can have a voice-search window open and recording.
The accuracy of their conversion program is incredible. I'd estimate it at 90% or so. As long as I spoke fairly clearly, it had very little trouble understanding me. More complex, lengthy sentences caused some issues, but that isn't what this is for. Think of speech-to-text as a more grammatically pleasant alternative to texting short-hand.

Camera
Decent, not great. Auto-focus is much improved over the Droid, image quality is as good as you can expect out of a smartphone. The LED flash is nice.

Overall

The Nexus One is the most talked-about Android phone. It is fast becoming the best Android phone for two reasons, Hardware and software.

Pros And Cons

+
Incredibly fast and quick touch response.
+
Awesome design and feels great in your hand.
+
Great Video recording and isn't really bad with photos.
=
The VoIP reception isn't great but isn't bad.
-
3G is kinda sluggish if your using a non-T-Mobile network from what i hear.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only complaint I have about the review in general is the comparison to the iPhone...

Other than that, it's a nice phone overall. Do you have any 3G connectivity issues?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm still pissed that I bought a HTC Hero one week before the announcement...I was pretty shure the Nexus would just be a developer phone, or something like that...meh :/.

Anyways, the Nexus One comes with Android 2.1, right? What about the market? I heard that many apps still aren't ready...I also heard that the battery isn't that great, better then on the HTC Hero, but still realy fast down (around a day at normal use). Is this also true?

Thanks in advance for answering
biggrin.gif
. Maybe I'll change to a Nexus One...

D

Deleted_171835

Great review!

Sadly, I don't have the money to get this phone at the moment. I usually get phones for $0 on a 3 year contract.
ph34r.gif

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
I'm still pissed that I bought a HTC Hero one week before the announcement...I was pretty shure the Nexus would just be a developer phone, or something like that...meh :/.

Anyways, the Nexus One comes with Android 2.1, right? What about the market? I heard that many apps still aren't ready...I also heard that the battery isn't that great, better then on the HTC Hero, but still realy fast down (around a day at normal use). Is this also true?

Thanks in advance for answering
biggrin.gif
. Maybe I'll change to a Nexus One...
Well, the HTC Hero should be getting a Sense UI 2.1 upgrade sometime soon, and the Sense UI is damn sexy.

Besides, Android phones are popping out like crazy right now, so you'll probably be wanting to get something besides the Nexus in a few months.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Inunah said:
Anyone else notice that NigaHiga did a video over the Nexus One, possibly as an advertisement he was payed to do?
I think he was advertising it. Being the #1 Most Subbed Person on YouTube and the #1 Partner for YouTube [who is owned by Google] why wouldn't they give him a phone to advertise? They may have not paid him but instead gave him the Nexus One to keep for free just to advertise.

Nice Review VidBoy. I feel like getting one myself, except, all I can expect is a high price for it.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh damnit, if only I had that phone...
I'm still stuck with my HTC Magic.
Anyway, great review.
wink2.gif
The Nexus One is IMO the first phone to compete with the iPhone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉