new usb drive 1TB passport

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by trcmag, Mar 2, 2011.

Mar 2, 2011

new usb drive 1TB passport by trcmag at 2:37 PM (2,329 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. trcmag
    OP

Newcomer trcmag Member

United States
    I just got a 1TB WD passport usb drive and am trying to copy my files over to it, but it doesn't show up when I open CFG Usb loader.

I formated it FAT32 and then just copied the apps & wbfs folders over.

My Wii is 4.2U and I can view the usb drive via ftpii from my computer to the Wii over the wireless network.

Am I missing something?

My old drive is a Seagate 500GB that is powered via a plug in transformer. I am upgrading, so I don't need a plug and have a bigger drive

http://gbatemp.net/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Make sure you are using cIOS 249dx56 and the latest version of Configurable USB Loader.

3. Gangboy

Newcomer Gangboy Advanced Member

Netherlands
    All the new WD drives use WD SmartWare, to remove this please follow this link and choose which drive you have and follow instructions on how to remove SmartWare:

Clicky

Good luck [​IMG]

4. hybridLearner

Newcomer hybridLearner Advanced Member

United States
  5. TheWon

Member TheWon GBAtemp Fan

United States
    On this drive has it cause you not to be able to play Black Ops and MHT? I just got one, and it seems these games will not load now. When before they did no problem on a 250 drive.

6. trcmag
    OP

Newcomer trcmag Member

United States

I have gone through the steps that this link gives me and it looks awesome, but I have a WD My Passport Essential SE Hard Drive and it looks like Homebrew doesn't work. I have set up the USB loader to be configured on the USB Drive. Is there anything else I need to do? How do I set it up without Homebrew?

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    try reformatting the drive as fat32 using the following tool:
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

some other formatting tools may not format it properly, I know WiiBackupManager used to (and may still) have problems with this.

8. trcmag
    OP

Newcomer trcmag Member

United States
    I am trying to re-hack my wii and I am following the directions on the cIOSX rev21d2x v2: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!, Now all devices connected to USB port 1 work fluently ?

But, when I get to load the priiloader it just goes to a blank screen. That is when I go through homebrew and select the priiloader 236, the next screen I get is black and nothing loads.

My wii is 4.2u and I used guiformat.exe to format my drive to fat32.

Any ideas why I am getting the black screen

9. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    The new USB3.0 (and perhaps earliers versions) of the WD My Passport SE portable drives no longer use the virtual (VCD) version of WD Smartware. Instead, in order to support the enhanced drive capabilities (passord lock + hardware encryption) the drive identifies itself as an SES capable drive. The drive uses a special driver that allows SCSI Enclosure Service messages to be sent to it to handle extra capabilities of the drive. Normal PC's can still access the drive's basic features without installing the driver but the nag to install driver will persist on each re-connection of the drive.

More to the point, the SES part of these newer USB3.0 SE drives can no longer be disabled like the VCD part of the previous versions could. The Wii should be able to still access the drive normally, but I don't know if the identification as an SES drive will cause an issue. It looks like it does according to trcmag's situation. WD sells the essentials line of drives which do not need SES as an alternative to the Passport SE and Elite product lines; not to mention other manufactures products are always available.

-[]D