New to Wii U homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Bing1093, May 6, 2018.

1. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Hi, everyone. I’ve been browsing these forums for years and now I have a dilemma that I need to make an account for, so here I am :)

I recently got a 4K TV, and I can’t use my Wii on it. It has no component ports, and every HDMI adapter I’ve tried has had horrible black crushing issues so dark games are unplayable (it seems the tv just doesn’t accept a standard definition signal well.)

My Wii is homebrewed and I use configurable USB loader for Wii ISOs and Nintendont for GameCube ISOs. So I have a lot of games I can’t play right now.
    So I’m looking into trying to run these two programs on my Wii U, but I’m not sure what to do and google hasn’t helped much. So:

1. Can I run both config USB loader and Nintendont on the Wii U or the vWii and what is the easiest way to install both?

2. Will the GameCube controller adapter for smash 4 work for Nintendont?

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    First off, you and (I assume) your girlfriend look cute together, congrats

But,
    1. Yes, you can run both CFG and Nintendont on the Wii U, although I'd personally recommend USB Loader GX due to the fact that you can run Nintendont through it, or WiiFlow if you prefer the coverflow look (feature-wise they're pretty similar, otherwise)
    2. Yes, it will work natively. Just make sure Controller Emulation is ON in the Nintendont settings

DaTank45 likes this.
  3. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Great! Any links you could provide to point me in the direction of what I’ll need? I don’t wanna brick my system and I don’t remember quite how everything works. It’s been several years since I did this to my Wii.

4. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't need to "install" anything, and I'd actually recommend against installing anything other than a for USBLGX. Everything else just sits on your SD card in that apps folder.

You can download the latest USBLGX from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Releases/New revisions %283.0%2B%29/

If you're concerned about anything, read the Wiki once SourceForge comes back online with it's project pages. As for Nintendont, just look up "Nintendont GitHub"

5. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Don’t I have to install HBC on the vWii? Or on the Wii U?

I don’t have to get the homebrew channel on my vWii or Wii U?

6. DaTank45

DaTank45 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2017
    United States
    Yes you need to install homebrew channel on the vwii. You can use a game like smash bros or hack you Wii U (very easy) and then use wup hax. Look in the Wii U tutorials

7. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Okay that sounds easy enough.
    One more thing, do I have to disconnect my Wii U from the internet or anything? Nintendo isn’t going to see my HB over WiFi and brick me will they? I hear they do that to 3DS’

8. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    No the Wii U isn't susceptible to that. Also they aren't bricking 3DS', they are just banning them from the eshop and nintendo network. You can still play local games on them.

Last edited by ryguy2010, May 7, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Okay so I installed the HBC on my vWii using the HBL, and got Nintendont working great!

As far as running configurable USB loader to run Wii games from a flash drive, do I just have to install CIOS on slots 249, 250, and 251? I’m seeing things about patching iOS80 or iOS 236 but I don’t remember having to do those when I used configurable USB loader on my Wii.

10. DaTank45

DaTank45 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2017
    United States
    Just search for the guide on this site and it will show you the way

11. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah, look in the tutorials section for the guide by Kafluke

DaTank45 likes this.
  12. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I got everything working exactly as I needed :)

13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It's worth emphasising - do not blindly install new IOS files anything else designed for the Wii fhat modifies the system without first checking that it works on the Wii U. You have no way to fix your vWii if you break it.

14. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up. Although I shouldn’t have to install any more new iOS’
    All my apps are exactly where I need them at this point so the only files I’ll be messing with from now on are the game files themselves, just transferring them to the SD card, etc.