Hacking New Switch SX Pro Owner

ka0s22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there are a thousand threads around this. I did some searching of course but looking for just a short sort of workflow. I am both humble and apologetic for the possible repetition!

5.1 owner, no desire for using AutoRCM (i don't mind booting with the dongle each time after reboots). I want to be able to boot to my original firmware and update my original cart games. My intention is to simply turn on/off wifi when needed. I'd like to of course update original firmware when needed, too, then boot back to the Pro.

Are there no problems booting to the original firmware and updating your games/going online? I'd Then simply turning wifi off, booting back with the pro dongle when necessary? What is risk of ban using this workflow?

If it helps feel free to paste me a link i might of missed and i'll read it thoroughly! Just trying to understand what my typical process will look like without installing autoRCM.

Thank you

Last edited by ka0s22,

homesickalien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You will likely get banned if you use the SX Pro and/or run any backups or homebrew apps in either original firmware or CFW. I'm holding out on going online for a bit to see if there will eventually be a way to avoid a ban, but for now I've done the following as a precaution:
- Formatted my console completely, wiped logs.
- Created a new account
- Updated to 5.1
- Downloaded Pokemon Quest from the eShop (to run devmenu to install NSPs)
- Put the console in airplane mode and removed my local wifi settings
- Boot into SX OS, installed AutoRCM and activated it offline (get license key from the website and manual copy to sd card)
- Load backups to SD
- Remain offline until further notice

I don't think there is much else you can do at this point. Some folks have been able to update their games without ban, but a LOT of others have already been banned.

Reactions: satbytheriver

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are getting banned for what you want to do so if you use SX os you take the risk
Be more specific. The bans for this are per game. If you end up purchasing the game later on and try connecting to their online system, you'll most likely be unbanned for that game (no, you can't use this as a method to unban and then use pirated copies of their games).

ka0s22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses. What I have a hard time understanding is how is Nintendo detecting a soft mod/custom firmware was loaded previously if you can boot to OFW and not have autorcm installed ? Are they simply detecting the system was booted to recovery mode ?

Jakkal666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The bans for this are per game. If you end up purchasing the game later on and try connecting to their online system, you'll most likely be unbanned for that game (no, you can't use this as a method to unban and then use pirated copies of their games).

Per game? Never heard of this. The most common however is people getting their console banned; in other words - no more eShop and online play whatsoever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the quick responses. What I have a hard time understanding is how is Nintendo detecting a soft mod/custom firmware was loaded previously if you can boot to OFW and not have autorcm installed ? Are they simply detecting the system was booted to recovery mode ?

It's the riddle we all would like the answer to. We don't know what Nintendo logs on the system and communicates to the HQ resulting in bans.

ka0s22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the consensus so far my best bet is to simply stay on 5.1, use the pro without installing autorcm and just permanently stay offline for the time being ?

Is there any process for updating firnware while offline ? I take it that this may not be a thing yet

Jakkal666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
From the consensus so far my best bet is to simply stay on 5.1, use the pro without installing autorcm and just permanently stay offline for the time being ?

Is there any process for updating firnware while offline ? I take it that this may not be a thing yet

That's what I'm doing, offline until further notice.
People are getting banned at random; some have been updating games both through OFW and CFW successfully, while others have realised they're banned the second they go online and try to access the eShop.

If you have bought stuff through eShop and have games tied to your Nintendo Network ID, I'd recommend you unlink it from your Switch before doing anything related to the SX OS.
Create a dummy account to play backups on and stay offline.

I'm sure there are ways to update the firmware offline, either through games which holds a newer one, or by other means. But if you're on 5.1.0 then that's the latest as of today.

Last edited by Jakkal666,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll probably be fine. There are a lot of freetards on this forum who want to spread FUD about SX OS. I've been using SX OS for about 3 weeks. I update my games via OFW.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm sure there are a thousand threads around this. I did some searching of course but looking for just a short sort of workflow. I am both humble and apologetic for the possible repetition!

5.1 owner, no desire for using AutoRCM (i don't mind booting with the dongle each time after reboots). I want to be able to boot to my original firmware and update my original cart games. My intention is to simply turn on/off wifi when needed. I'd like to of course update original firmware when needed, too, then boot back to the Pro.

Are there no problems booting to the original firmware and updating your games/going online? I'd Then simply turning wifi off, booting back with the pro dongle when necessary? What is risk of ban using this workflow?

If it helps feel free to paste me a link i might of missed and i'll read it thoroughly! Just trying to understand what my typical process will look like without installing autoRCM.

Thank you
Pretty much the same risk of ban as staying online with SX OS.
And AutoRCM is nothing special to worry about.

You will likely get banned if you use the SX Pro and/or run any backups or homebrew apps in either original firmware or CFW. I'm holding out on going online for a bit to see if there will eventually be a way to avoid a ban, but for now I've done the following as a precaution:
- Created a new account
- Updated to 5.1
- Downloaded Pokemon Quest from the eShop (to run devmenu to install NSPs)
- Put the console in airplane mode and removed my local wifi settings
- Boot into SX OS, installed AutoRCM and activated it offline (get license key from the website and manual copy to sd card)
- Load backups to SD
- Remain offline until further notice

I don't think there is much else you can do at this point. Some folks have been able to update their games without ban, but a LOT of others have already been banned.
1. If you wiped them with nx-dreport, you can get banned just for that.
2. That won't help you in any way, as Nintendo is not banning accounts (most of the time).
3. Now you can't use deja vu.
4. Good idea.
5. Must do with hacked Switch ;)

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bad idea. Multiple people including @SciresM have said that clearing logs will likely flag your console for a ban. Maybe if you stay offline for a while to generate more you'll be ok. Not sure.

When you see a cop don't hit your brakes. That's the worst thing you could do. It lets them know that you know you are doing wrong.

-Downloaded Pokemon Quest from the eShop (to run devmenu to install NSPs)

I hope you mean for the future installation of DevMenu. Using LayeredFS is another likely ban.

Jakkal666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You'll probably be fine. There are a lot of freetards on this forum who want to spread FUD about SX OS. I've been using SX OS for about 3 weeks. I update my games via OFW.

That's exactly the thing.. probably.
People have taken all sorts of precautions and done stuff by the book and still been banned. It seems random. I don't like random.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's assume Nintendo logs everything you do offline somewhere,and it syncs up when you connect to the internet.

They then select a group of people to ban.
The rest are just lined up and get banned at a later stage.Helps keep the hackers from figuring out what triggers it. That's my matrix theory anyway

Jakkal666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Let's assume Nintendo logs everything you do offline somewhere,and it syncs up when you connect to the internet.

They then select a group of people to ban.
The rest are just lined up and get banned at a later stage.Helps keep the hackers from figuring out what triggers it. That's my matrix theory anyway

Yeah, something along those lines would be my guess as well.
Some people that have been banned might have slipped on more obvious precautions/steps. Others might have been more thorough (or so they think), but in reality they are just waiting for the hammer to strike.
Nobody knows how Nintendo administrates or monitors these kinds of violations, if it's automated or in some instances manual work to see what their users are doing on their consoles. My guess would be both, considering the variety of bans available.

Though I highly doubt Nintendo would let flagged hackers keep on trucking as a smokescreen and ban them later just to create confusion. It's in their immediate interest as a company to stop misconduct as soon as they notice it.

Last edited by Jakkal666,

ka0s22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the responses . I'm going to do a nand backup and go from there. Literally the only reason I'd ever go online is for updating firmware so I'll take a few precautions and go from there. I hope we learn more in the coming months

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade