New Super Mario Bros. 2 Beta

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, Oct 8, 2008.

Oct 8, 2008

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Beta by Tempbot at 10:19 PM (7,213 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 Beta
    The first non-proper beta

VISHI SO FISHI and his team released the first non-proper beta of the homebrew game: Super Brothers: Search for the Dark Eggs.
    In this beta, you can view the credits. There is also added music and much more. The proper beta will be released later.

Download
    Source

Contributed by DieForIt
    Edit by JPH

2. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Is that it? Just credits? If so then it's not even worth posting about.

3. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Is this the same one Vishi posted on his thread?

4. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    No it's playable...but at this point it's pretty bad...It is a rough beginning.....But it should be drastically improved in proper BETA release..

6. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Any pics?

7. Macavity

Newcomer Macavity Member

United States
    I am not at all a fan of this new fad, where developers will grab a title for a much clamored-for game (such as Smash Bros DS or NSMB2), make a terrible, terrible game out of it, and come out with "updates" like this every 3 days to continue getting their internet dicks sucked.

Please do not release games until they are worth playing! And don't release games at all if you're just doing it so people will say they like you! Thanks!

8. StingX

Member StingX Hates Technology

United States
    I agree with Macavity 100%, there is actual homebrew and hacking going on that produces results. Remember when most homebrew didn't name itself after popular franchises to make people go DO WANT. This actually was my beef with Nintendo and the Yoshi Island 2 DS game, it felt rather lazy as a game and banked more off of pasted levels and LOOK ITS A YOSHI ISLAND GAME REMEMBER YOU LOVED THIS???!!!

9. SonicRax

Member SonicRax Egg-Mayo: The Movie

United Kingdom
    I'm gonna have to agree with this. Adding the name of a game series which is highly respected to a homebrew you are developing (e.g. Super Smash Bros "Rumble") would normally mean that by doing so, you might have a lot of expectations to reach. Some games/homebrew do not automatically become amazing just because you chose to add a well respected game series or franchise to the naming. And there's barely ANY POINT in relating a homebrew to that franchise if it plays nothing like any of the games in that series, and plays a lot worse.

But: We must applaud these people for even being able to start and develop such a project in the first place. At least they are actually skilled and good enough to do so. And, it is a very early Beta anyway. While there was no point in even releasing it if there's no true backbone to the demo and all you are able to do is view a few on-screen names and listen to the music, it's still technically the start of the project. You never know, it might turn out to be pretty decent when a real playable demo is released.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    this is that game *built* using palib and the ds game maker front end?

-another world

11. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    What incentive do they have to stop?

12. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Next time DieForIt, change the light setting on no$gba. [​IMG]

I sort of agree, he should have waited a bit, and not released someone else's demo(if I heard correctly)

[/not_a_flame]

And there were too many colors on the buttons, I don't think they showed that good.

13. Macavity

Newcomer Macavity Member

United States
    Since they're doing it for positive attention, if they receive only negative attention they will either:

1. Try harder and make a game that is good on its own merits, not its title (which is essentially stolen) or
    2. Give up and go away.

Either way, we all win.

Post script: I love homebrew, I love developers. I highly believe in giving kudos where it's due. But the developers of NSMB2 and SBR have yet to earn anything but my, and many others', scorn.

14. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    This isn't even an engine. Seriously, don't even TELL people you're making a game until you're well underway with it.

Not only does it lack a game, but the title screen licks balls.

Also, I don't understand why the topic title says new super mario bros 2. It's obviously titled "Super Brothers" (wtf lol)

15. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    hey can you guys stop being mean it will hurt his feelings if you wanna help then help or encourage so stop the hating already [​IMG]
    Ps i think a few of you guys are blind... See the word "Beta"?? [​IMG]

16. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    This isn't a beta. It's pre-alpha, at best. And betas are allowed to have negative feedback, btw. You know how much pure crap would get released if nobody said anything during the beta?

17. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Always being positive doesn't help. The guy/s making this game clearly released it to gain popularity (I mean come on! They made a release with just the CREDITS).

And the old 'at least they're making a game' counter-argument isn't exactly a strong one to say the least, especially when they just adopted a well known title (New Super Mario Bros.). We expect something greater than good, after all they are trying to make a SEQUEL to one of the greatest games ever made.

This release is no where near Beta. Hell, it's NOT EVEN ALPHA.

If they don't want high expectations and negative feedback, they should change the name of their title. I suggest 'Super Brothers: Search for the Dark Egg' since that's clearly the real name of this game (look at the title :|). 'New Super Mario Bros. 2' is just a pre-title they gave it because they crave for attention.

18. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    Wow, i just saw this, i didnt even ask this to be relased in public too all the gbatemp people, caus ei knew it was crap my-self , it was just a very crap prototype for the people in th thread, i dont blame Dieforit for releasing it but i said i dint want it released....

You wont be dissapointed in the proper BETA

And lol why the hell would i make a game to be "Popular" , um popular between people on the internet who i dont even know..lol..

i am just making this , bacause its my hobby and i am learining while i am making..

19. Trukkle

Newcomer Trukkle Member

United Kingdom
    Glad someone else said what I was thinking. "Beta" does not mean what you all seem to think it means and this is far below pre-alpha. It's like a "Hello World".

20. SpectralSounds

Newcomer SpectralSounds Advanced Member

United States
    Wow, you people are really bagging on this. It's pretty funny actually, because I was thinking all of the same stuff you guys were posting. I will reserve my judgement for when they actually release something that is playable. Who knows, maybe it won't suck too bad. There are a lot of fun SMB hack roms out there now... Maybe this one will be decent.