New Sonic Generations gameplay (offscreen)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, May 20, 2011.

May 20, 2011
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    A new Sonic game was announced recently called Sonic Generations. It will be released for Xbox 360 and PS3 and contain gameplay based on both the classic Genesis Sonic games and the newer Unleashed and Colors style. Most peculiar is that during the unveiling trailer a few weeks ago, both modern and classic Sonics appeared onscreen together and you can play as both. This include both their looks and animations, as well as their unique play mechanics. Classic Sonic takes on a 3D appearance in the style of the Genesis games and tackles platform-heavy 2D stages. Modern Sonic looks like he did in any recent 3D Sonic game and plays similarly to how he did in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors, playing through a mix of 3D and 2D levels.

2 new offscreen videos were unveiled today, showcasing the gameplay of both Classic and Modern Sonic in a redesigned Green Hill Zone. There's a good 7 and a half minutes worth of gameplay ahead for you to check out. The videos confirm that there will be other stages based on classic (and current) Sonic games, even Dreamcast. I shall put them in spoiler tags for you to view below. Enjoy!

It should be noted that this game was previously announced for both PS3 and Xbox 360. Later, a financial report from SEGA indicated that the game may also be coming to PC and Nintendo 3DS. However, both PC and 3DS listings have been yanked and SEGA is asking retailers to take these platforms off their lists. Whether this means this was an accidental listing, those platforms canceled, or whether SEGA had intended to save this announcement for E3 remains to be seen. Don't get your hopes up though and wait until E3 for a formal announcement. We should know whether the game will come to other platforms by then. Until then, check out the game as it will appear on PS3 and 360 below.[/p]
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    [​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

2. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Can I say amazing? [​IMG]

3. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    great.... a remake of Sonic 1 [​IMG]
    why they just dont make a NEW 2D Sonic game that is not a rehash of Sonic 2??

4. granville
    OP

United States
    Seriously, besides the familiar (and only just somewhat familiar) level design, the game looks nothing like Sonic 1. Sure the Green Hill Zone is sort of there, but the level design itself in terms of the way the level is structured is totally new.

I'm inclined to dislike this for different reasons anyways. Like for the fact that SEGA still can't program proper ball physics anymore. [​IMG]

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    This is the first Sonic game I've been looking forward to in years.

6. 727

Member 727 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I actually think this is a good idea and the sonic team is starting to get back to quality after Sonic Colors. Give Sonic a second chance.

7. B3astinSnipes

Member B3astinSnipes GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This looks absolutely amazing.cant wait! [​IMG]

8. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    this games release date is so far away holiday 2011 [​IMG] i love the music in the first video though.

9. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I agree, I really enjoyed sonic colours, I completed it 100% twice (once over Christmas on my brothers wii, and again back at mine a couple of months ago)

Really hope this does get released on the 3DS though, would be a shame if it doesn't.

10. KingVamp

United States
    Not trying to get on you or nothing, but isn't that a little nitpicky?

11. 6HyPeR9

Newcomer 6HyPeR9 Advanced Member

United States
    It's been a very long time since I last wanted a Sonic game.

I'm guessing you haven't seen a Sonic fan.

12. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    If the game's gonna be like that, I can't see this failing.

13. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Screw the naysayers. This looks fantastic, and I'll be waiting very impatiently to play it.

14. KingVamp

United States
    You don't have to be nitpicky to be a fan of a game...

15. granville
    OP

United States
    Nitpicky? Depends on the game. Sonic Colors was a step in the right direction in terms of platforming. Ahead of Unleashed (which had decent Sonic levels but annoying and long werehog stages). Sonic 4 was a major step backwards as the entire physics engine feels broken. This coming from someone who liked Sonic 4 at first, but quickly learned how messed up and annoying it felt. And it's hardly nitpicky to complain about a core element to gameplay, the physics being the building block of the entire Sonic franchise's gameplay. There's more extreme and ridiculous nitpicking, like green eyes on Sonic and how that alone has apparently destroyed the franchise according to many hardcore Sonic fans. That's REAL nitpicking. [​IMG]

I'll also mention that it's something fan games have nailed, in both a 2D and 3D world (yes even 3D with Damizean's Blitz Sonic and that Sonic GDK engine). I'm actually a lot more forgiving about Sonic games than most "fans" might be, but i have to laugh at the fact that SEGA has been unable to master ball physics in a 3D game with well over 10 years of trying. Not to mention a game like Sonic 4 which is a simple sequel to the Genesis games and can't even do proper 2D ball physics. Lets just say, i should not be able to stand sideways on a strait vertical slope. Nor should i lose momentum when rolling down a hill as a ball. [​IMG]

That being said, Generations looks fun. I liked Sonic Colors. Not amazing, but very good. Generations looks like an evolution of it with better level design and more 2D bits. I doubt i'll dislike this, but it looks like they still have issues with physics for 2D stuff. Much better though. I'll like it as long as it has non-broken physics and good level design.

I'm not the kind of Sonic fan who whine over green eyes or even voice acting either. I will tolerate anything if the game is fun to play.

16. MushGuy

Member MushGuy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You say this like it the only thing they're going to include in this game. Keep in mind that there also will be renditions of stages from other games, but for now they're showing the much remembered Green Hill Zone, since that's where the game starts for both Sonics.

Now back to the video, I'm glad that the fixed the uncurling from the previous beta, but they still need to fix the Spin Dash and the tubes, since Sonic goes too fast from them.

17. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I really love the 2D return in this game, It looks so PERFECT!
    Personally, I wasn't looking forward to the 3D levels at all. But now that I see them in action, I can honestly say that Sonic Team is doing something right again.

Dude, are you fucking new?

18. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I think Sega's aim with this is to please everyone....new and old fans alike....I honestly see nothing here to dislike, but I bet someone will find something.

19. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    God, i hope that classic sonic hype formula doesnt kick in soon. Because this is looking to be one of the best Sonic games in years

20. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Do I dare say it: A great Sonic game in a long time?