Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Assax said:
-snip-
@Johnny_Drama: I don't think that's an honest argument. True, Sony is not forcing him at gunpoint to buy a new model, but how does it really endorse Sony when a consumer is subjected to the following processes?

6.) Elation, suspicion and...Profit!

Really? From what I've read here, it seems that most PS3 owners won't buy the new model nor would the mainstream give a shit about it I guess. The hardcore market isn't that big. And for those who do care, I think Sony would do a great job by releasing a new model.

@Johnny_Drama: I find your comparison of the PS3 to a notice of what appears on a restaurant menu, to be poor.

PS3 Phat > Slim: Release new dish in new cheaper coat, expect price cut, price cut get.

PS3 Slim > Slim BC: Release new dish in same coat, add new ingredient, no price cut.

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Johnny_Drama said:
PS3 Phat > Slim: Release new dish in new cheaper coat, expect price cut, price cut get.

PS3 Slim > Slim BC: Release new dish in same coat, add new ingredient, no price cut.

Except that a dish is a one time investment and you'd have to buy it again if you wanted to enjoy it once more.
If you buy a console you keep it and most likely don't want to buy the same console twice just in another model for even the same price and if its going to be cheaper people who bought the earlier model are neglected.

People who buy the console with knowing there is no BC because it was removed inititally anyway don't think it will ever make a comeback and assume its the final status.
It would be a little different if they didn't have PS2 BC from the beginning and add it totally new now.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Johnny_Drama said:
Really? From what I've read here, it seems that most PS3 owners won't buy the new model nor would the mainstream give a shit about it I guess. The hardcore market isn't that big. And for those who do care, I think Sony would do a great job by releasing a new model.
You're (selectively) quoting my argument out of context. That was when we were under the impression that PS2 BC was being added. But this new model does not appear to have brought anything new, besides removing LEDs, cutting power consumption, and making the console .4 kg lighter. I don't consider this to be a new model, nor is this a "good job." There's no need to defend Sony, or any of the other console giants when it comes to new and continued feature-stripping.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
id rather have my good old launch phat-ps2 (yes it still works changed the laser once or twice) hooked on the old TV, and ill purchase the the HD remakes as i see fit.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
Fuckers I wanted PS2 BC on my slim and im not buying a new ps3.

I'll just wait until Cobra USB ports their stuff to 3.55
that cobra device will never allow you to play ps2 games on a slim
all it does right now is allow you ti play ps2 and ps1 iso's on a ps2 bc ps3

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KirbyBoy said:
PS3_3000B-580x212.jpg

The new Ps3 model has the name CECH-3000B. It will come in both 320GB and 160GB models, nothing looks different then some slight twicks to the power and eject button design, it has also been mentioned, “This product will not be compatible with PS2 software.” is what is translated from the official Sony Information Page.
[/p]

icon11.gif
Sony Info Page

icon11.gif
Source

Is this anything new. The PS3 hasn't supported PS2 in a long while now, which is just dumb and stupid. There is a 1% chance that the PS2 hardware, or whatever Hardware emulated it in the original PS3's which were compatible, were actually the root cause of the problems they said they were. 99% chance that it actually was sony saying "Oh lol we dont want to have to support something you paid for so we'll take it away lol".

Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh by the way, 400th POST!

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nimbus said:
KirbyBoy said:
PS3_3000B-580x212.jpg

The new Ps3 model has the name CECH-3000B. It will come in both 320GB and 160GB models, nothing looks different then some slight twicks to the power and eject button design, it has also been mentioned, “This product will not be compatible with PS2 software.” is what is translated from the official Sony Information Page.
[/p]

icon11.gif
Sony Info Page

icon11.gif
Source

Is this anything new. The PS3 hasn't supported PS2 in a long while now, which is just dumb and stupid. There is a 1% chance that the PS2 hardware, or whatever Hardware emulated it in the original PS3's which were compatible, were actually the root cause of the problems they said they were. 99% chance that it actually was sony saying "Oh lol we dont want to have to support something you paid for so we'll take it away lol".

You are wrong. PS2 BC increased production costs at a time when PS3 production was expensive so they cut it to cut costs. Business. And PS2 BC was never taken away as you suggest, it was only available on the old 60GB systems which can still have PS2 BC. It was just a feature unavailable on other versions of the PS3.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Fuckers I wanted PS2 BC on my slim and im not buying a new ps3.

I'll just wait until Cobra USB ports their stuff to 3.55
that cobra device will never allow you to play ps2 games on a slim
all it does right now is allow you ti play ps2 and ps1 iso's on a ps2 bc ps3

Yeah I didn't realize although I just googled it and found this

"Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick "

So not all hope is lost and still PSX support would still be awesome.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
emigre said:
Nimbus said:
KirbyBoy said:
PS3_3000B-580x212.jpg

[/p]

icon11.gif
Sony Info Page

icon11.gif
Source

You are wrong. PS2 BC increased production costs at a time when PS3 production was expensive so they cut it to cut costs. Business. And PS2 BC was never taken away as you suggest, it was only available on the old 60GB systems which can still have PS2 BC. It was just a feature unavailable on other versions of the PS3.

Oh ok, sorry about jumping to conclusions on that, like I always seem to, heh.

Still I fail to see why they didn't add it back when the production costs dropped in price, that still seems just kinda lazy to me, but whatever I can't be bothered to care...

And apparently I'm hungry, not that it has anything to do with this.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that there will be NO backwards compatibility with PS2 games on this new PS3 model. The phrase "???????" is a formal way of conjugating a verb into the negative. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Can anyone link directly to the Japanese text? I'm on a phone and it's a pain to search for it on a tiny screen and touch keyboard. Thanks
smile.gif

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu9000 said:
I can confirm that there will be NO[\b] backwards compatibility with PS2 games on this new PS3 model. The phrase "???????" is a formal way of conjugating a verb into the negative. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Can anyone link directly to the Japanese text? I'm on a phone and it's a pain to search for it on a tiny screen and touch keyboard. Thanks
smile.gif

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/cech3000b.html

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They wouldn't add PS2 BC compatibility, otherwise no one would buy the HD collections except trophy whores like me.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little too late for this, they are already releasing some PS2 games in HD with trophies. That sounds like a better deal then non-HD games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a great idea how to make y'all able to play games for your 11 years old console. It'll play like you're actually using a real PS2!

...connect your damn PS2 to the TV. There, problem fixed. You have games but you don't have the console? Surely you jest.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
I have a great idea how to make y'all able to play games for your 11 years old console. It'll play like you're actually using a real PS2!

...connect your damn PS2 to the TV. There, problem fixed. You have games but you don't have the console? Surely you jest.
Well, I bought one which I thought had ps2 on it for two reasons:

1: My old one broke, and I was getting a ps3 anyway, so I thought "What's the reason to buy another ps2" mind you I didn't know that new ps3's had no Ps2 bc back then.

2: Too much clutter, my Tv can only play about 4 consoles, with bc I could get rid of clutter.

And besides, the translation was messed up, it actually said there will not be BC on said console, the news where I got it updated it as well, not this news source I mean.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I didn't realize although I just googled it and found this

QUOTE said:
"Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick "
That would be my dream come true, even if it's buggy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That wasn't my point - I'm all for backwards compatibility, but where does it end? The PS2 was first made 11 years ago, is there really a point for a contemporary PS3 to play all those games? Get a cheapo PS2 off E-Bay and play the real experience instead of stretched shitty-ness.

My TV takes up to 3 consoles and still I have *no* problem whatsoever in swapping them when I feel like using one that's not connected at the moment.

Love your consoles - be collectors. BC or not, nothing beats "the real experience".

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
That wasn't my point - I'm all for backwards compatibility, but where does it end? The PS2 was first made 11 years ago, is there really a point for a contemporary PS3 to play all those games? Get a cheapo PS2 off E-Bay and play the real experience instead of stretched shitty-ness.

My TV takes up to 3 consoles and still I have *no* problem whatsoever in swapping them when I feel like using one that's not connected at the moment.

Love your consoles - be collectors. BC or not, nothing beats "the real experience".
Well it's very convenient, saves space, is less risky since it's nigh on impossible to find a new PS2, saves time- I'd say it's very practical as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...