Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wiikey will not activate when an original game is put into the system. This is totally made up.

I thought some of the Audio Fix dispute months back contradict this? Wasn't there people saying that even their legit GCN games were having issues with a wiikey install and that is why they wanted the audio fix after such a long wait.

Not that I'm flat out saying you're wrong as I only just got the wii modded a week ago and lack concise information on that dispute. Not to mention that this could always be a difference in how the wiikey functions between Wii and GCN games of course.

I don't think so because if it was active when legit games were in the drive I think then retail Mario Galaxy would have given the same error a burnt copy did with wiikey modded systems, though it didn't.

Doyvid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys (and gals),

First and foremost, I apologise for sounding like/being a noob.

So I've been browsing around these forums and thinking about getting a WiiKey for yup, you guessed it, Smash Bros Brawl. I'm a poor old Australian user who has to wait an indeterminate amount of months for the European release, and then some for the game to finally make it's way Down Under. Therefore, I'm very much considering importing it the game from Japan. Before I go spending the $160 odd dollars it will cost me to for the modchip and the game, I'd like to have a few things clarified. After reading this thread (and a few others, as well as your wiki), I've deduced this so far:

- Updating a PAL Wii with NTSC-U/J firmware will cause it to stop working (i.e. "brick" it). Therefore, it's best to perform a system update of the console before booting any new games.

- By the looks of the Wiki, many Japanese released games don't work well with WiiKey.

Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. Is the firmware update released for all Regions (US, Europe and Japan) all at the same time? Or timed with the release of big titles such as Brawl, Mario Galaxy, etc.

2. In your collective experiences, do Japanese versions of games work well on WiiKey-modded PAL consoles? Or do they generally end up as drink coasters?

Thankyou for being patient with the newbie. I've tried to write this post in the most sensible and noob-tollerable way possible. I'd really appreciate it you'd be able to help me with my queries.

Thanks,

Doyvid

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Is the firmware update released for all Regions (US, Europe and Japan) all at the same time? Or timed with the release of big titles such as Brawl, Mario Galaxy, etc.

2. In your collective experiences, do Japanese versions of games work well on WiiKey-modded PAL consoles? Or do they generally end up as drink coasters?

I believe that it's timed for other regions with big titles, but sometimes nintendo has it available when you simply connect to wifi. I could be wrong here.

As for #2, I hear a lot of people complaining about how ____ game doesn't work on PAL systems so I'm guess there's lots of compatibility issues. Check here for more info, http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wi...patibility_List

Doyvid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the swift reply, RyuKakashi!

I've checked my Wii's firmware, and it states that I have 3.1E, and when I try to perform a system update, it states that I have the most current version available. So, I'm guessing that unless there's going to be a "newer" version of 3.1E (like a 3.11E or something silly), then I have the latest firmware. I think I'll just hang back for a week or so and see if any other Aussies have any troubles with playing it before spending a large amount on something that could potentially not work at all.

I guess I'll keep watching this thread and the rest of the forum to see results!

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Am I wrong in thinking that the firmware update from Smash is 3.2J, as 3.1J should already be out? Also, shouldn't WiiBrickBlocker work to circumvent this issue?

You're not wrong, if it existed it would be 3.2. However, like most of what has been spoken on here re SSBB, it's either total speculation / rumour / lies.

We'll know the truth in a day or two, don't get sucked in...

beano311

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Am I wrong in thinking that the firmware update from Smash is 3.2J, as 3.1J should already be out?  Also, shouldn't WiiBrickBlocker work to circumvent this issue?

You're not wrong, if it existed it would be 3.2. However, like most of what has been spoken on here re SSBB, it's either total speculation / rumour / lies.

We'll know the truth in a day or two, don't get sucked in...
I would imagine, seeing as it's the 31st in Japan right now, that someone would know if it was v3.2J or 3.1J, and since all I've seen is 3.1, that's what I'd guess it is.

StacMaster-S

Trophies
Website
www.halolz.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, for those people who do not understand how it works... the reason Wii games come with system updates is so that people who never connect their Wii to the internet will still receive important system updates, which in several cases are required for certain titles to run.

As of right now the latest Wii firmware version is 3.1U (U.S.), 3.1E (Euro) and 3.1J (Japan). From what I understand Brawl includes the update to 3.1J, which is only a problem for people who do not have Japanese Wii's, because the game will try to update your system from say... 3.1E to 3.1J... which is what causes bricking (incorrect firmware for the region of your Wii). Naturally this is where programs like BrickBlocker come in... they overwrite the beginning sector in an ISO that contains the update, with a version that contains no update.

Anyway, long story short... there is probably no "3.2"... I would assume J-Brawl has 3.1J and only time will see if this becomes an issue in running it on U.S. and PAL systems.

If anything I wrote here is wrong please correct me!

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've taken a chance before on updating my firmware with games from a different region, and my wii isn't bricked. I don't think it's 100% that you'll brick it, but definitely a chance.

And also, there has been at least 1 intermediate update in the past that didn't change the version number. I'd just keep that in mind.

StacMaster-S

Trophies
Website
www.halolz.com
XP
Country
United States
People don't seem to understand the concept of firmware numbers... it's simple! As long as you have the most recent firmware for your region (3.1 U/E/J), then it's all good.

See I was under that impression too... that if you have the latest firmware the updater wouldn't be a problem... but then it seemed like other people were saying there were issues.

Honestly I've only played a couple of Japanese games and one PAL game on my system so far and I have yet to have any problems or need to patch any ISO's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1