1. snake2

OP snake2 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The other day I was going through some things and found my old NES stuff and quickly saw much potential. I wanted to use the controller on my PC and further wanted to store the ROMs on the controller also so I did some shopping.

I bought a USB hub and a NES to USB converter chip, first thing I did was crack open the USB hub and remove the actual USB ports and original wire leaving me with this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was to open up and remove the USB port from an old 4GB flash drive I had laying around and wired everything up

[​IMG]

Next I hot glued the flash drive and converter chip to the NES PCB

[​IMG]

and cleaned up the wiring a bit

[​IMG]

and last I had to grind down one of the posts on the back of the case so everything can fit

[​IMG]

I will also be using this to store my school files and can't wait to see every ones reaction when I plug this into the computer

2. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    WIN. YES. I would pay money for this. [​IMG]

3. hatredg0d

hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would also buy one of these, but i suppose, it would probably cost about the same to make one. looks fun to make though

4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

I used to have a SNES controller like this, even had an automatic menu system auto running from the flash drive to make it truly plug-n-play. I had a bunch of old emulators on it with a joypad controlled menu etc. Was fun while it lasted, but the flash drive started acting up so I returned it ro a regular USB SNES joypad.

Other cool stuff to make from NES controllers can be fun, like a game case or alarm clock, not to mention a USB Lego? man...

[​IMG]

5. Toader

Toader GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This guy here sells them but they're pricey.

6. snake2

OP snake2 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    after buying everything
    controller was free since it was found in the closet
    converter chip + USB wire($21)
    hub ($12)
    USB drive was also free I had it left over from when I upgraded to a 16GB drive

I spent $33 kind of pricy for a PC controller but it was fun and I can't wait to show it off to my friends

A guy I work with want me to do a SNES one for him, when that one is ready I will post about that

7. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    you know you could do this with a original Xbox controller pretty cheap too, all you'd need is the hub, flash drive and a spare usb cable to mutilate.
    also could probably mafangle a similar set up with a ps2 controller as well, but space would be much more limited.

8. Man, that's amazing.

9. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Original xbox controller only needs you to rewire, there is a hub already in them for the two memory card ports (both the joypad and the memory cards are USB with different connectors).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - controller, storage, space