Hacking Need some tips getting back to Wii Hacking scene

ShinConker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, recently I wanted to go back in the wii hacking scene. I didn't touch my wii since a year and a half (maybe even more!) I had softmoded my wii back in the days with the twilight hack, right now my Wii OS is at 3.3 (U). The thing is that the last game I played was New Super Mario Bros, and the only way I could play it was with the neo gamma chanel installed on my Wii and the mario ISO on my SD card. I had a backup of my SD card with my channel .wad installation & uninstallation but fews months ago I formatted my PC and forget to take my Wii SD card backup...

So right now I've lost everything that was on my SD card, but my wii is softmoded with a bunchs of channels and Wad games... What should I do? I don't wanna take a bad decision that could brick my Wii, so I'm asking your help guys
smile.gif

My goal would be to clean up some of my channels, get updated with the last compatible Wii OS that support backup loader, be able to play my old backup games and play some new ones (Donkey Kong) without harm my wii!

Thanks for your support
smile.gif

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Right, I'm gonna assume you're like me as I recently got back into the scene too.

Latest cios is waninkoko rev21, use base 56 and 57 installed in 249 and 250.
Latest alt cios is Hermes 5.1, install to 222, 223 and 224 (i aint needed it yet but not harm installing it)
Current usb loaders are wiiflow or cfg usb loader. Both very good and highly compatible, I personally prefer wiiflow.
Current disc loader still NeoGamma I believe but not sure as don't use discs myself.

I personally would update to 4.2 or 4.3 using the safest method which I guess is just installing the ios'. I'm sure modmii wll help you with that. My wii was already at 4.3 but I've noticed no drawbacks to it.

And hopefully as your wii is a bit older, you can install bootmii as boot2, get that done before anything else and backup your nand so if all else fails, you have something to go back to

ShinConker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all your anwsers guys! Really appreciated
smile.gif
The community is as good as it were a year ago
smile.gif

@WalkerOfTheday: That look really sweet! Currently doing the SD card Setup! It looks far easier than in the past!
@Lacius: Thanks for this guide, I've already read it a bit before posting my thread
smile.gif

@Donkey Plonk: Yeah just got back like you
smile.gif
Thanks for all these lastest updates infos, I guess I'm gonna resoft-mod my wii with ModMii since it look so easy and then re-install everything back! I don't know about bootmii thought, I bought my Wii fews days after its release in Canada so I guess I could install that thing... but ModMii look pretty safe for me.

Fews last questions, in ModMii, the first question is "Is your Wii Virgin"

Mine isn't, since it's soft-moded at 3.3U so I should select "No" but in the "Note" it says that I should pick up "yes" if I want to upgrade my soft-mod.... This is confusing!

If I'm selecting "No" will it erases every Channel, homebrew, and cIOS and then soft-mod my Wii with a clean Hard Drive?

And "Yes" would keep everything chanel and modifications plus upgrading my System Menu to 4.X ?

In my case I really want to start back from scratch, with a 4.X soft-moded system Menu with homebrew Chanel and some useful modifications (I guess that ModMii include a few of theses?)

Should I pick Yes or No?

Thanks again
smile.gif

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pick yes ! It will upgrade the HBC the latest, but it won't touch your previous installed channels.
You could use Anytitle Deleter for that, or if you still have the WAD files uninstall them using a Wad Manager.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
zizer said:
no need mod your wii , you must update cios , channels and usb -loader (modmii page1 ,page2)

Technically you're right. But I prefer to have my IOS's / System Menu up to date, for when I play the ocassional original game that doesn't rely on cios. But indeed you could also stay on 3.3 if you plan to use backups only.
The only thing you'll be missing is the SD card icon thingy
smile.gif

And IOS58 which in the future will be used for new usb-loaders instead of cios. But that may take a while.

ShinConker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get what both of you are saying. I think I'm gonna update to 4.1 though, since I do play some original games from time to time
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply guys. Feeling far more confident for my Wii!

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShinConker said:
I get what both of you are saying. I think I'm gonna update to 4.1 though, since I do play some original games from time to time
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply guys. Feeling far more confident for my Wii!

Okay then ! Have fun ! And if may recommend a usb-loader, try Wiiflow !

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WalkerOfTheDay said:
Technically you're right. But I prefer to have my IOS's / System Menu up to date, for when I play the ocassional original game that doesn't rely on cios. But indeed you could also stay on 3.3 if you plan to use backups only.
The only thing you'll be missing is the SD card icon thingy
smile.gif

And IOS58 which in the future will be used for new usb-loaders instead of cios. But that may take a while.

i'm too agree

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
bootmii is a must for any modder that can install it as boot2, which you can cuz its a launch model, it can recover you from any brick, even an accidental deletion of the system menu, regular nand back ups make this much much easier but not essential if you dont wish too,

but you probably should

elviswjr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiFlow is good if you wan't a nice looking coverflow-like GUI but I prefer USB Loader GX. It's simple and functional, and looks nice too. Also it lets you launch homebrew without going to homebrew channel and lets you choose where to return to when quitting a game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy