need some help with valves hammer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by nukeboy95, Jul 12, 2012.

Jul 12, 2012
  1. nukeboy95
    OP

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    now iv mad a few maps now but there all square

how can i make round maps

2. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
  3. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Quite simply, you don't. Valve's Hammer does not support round brushes. What most map makers does when they work with hammer is to gradually bend brushes in the direction they want to fake something round. Combine that info with the clipping tool and you're able to make things look somewhat round even though they're really not. Here's an example of faked 'roundness' in Valve's Hammer:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Here I've used the clipping tool to trim off the edges of a square object to make it appear somewhat round. In hammer this change seems pretty visible, but once you go in game you will have a hard time to actually tell whether it's round or not.

It is important to note that it is recommended practice to never actually keep brushes with strange shapes as brushes, but rather transform them into func_detail to prevent an incoming VIS hell. That along with other optimizing information regarding levels made in Hammer can be found here.

I'd really recommend giving that guide a read if you're serious about map making in Hammer.