need recomendation for space/combat flight sim

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by godsakes, Jul 11, 2009.

1. godsakes
    OP

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    hi guys

i've just ordered a MS forcefeedback 2 joystick

i remember loving playing on freespace 2 (even better than the x-wing/tie fighter games) and MS combat flight simulator

can anyone recommend some more recent games of the same genre, cheers :-)

PS i like up close dogfighting, and hate the fire and forget nature of modern day fighters where you fire a missle without ever seeing your target

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Seeing as you know about freespace 2, have you tried any of the mods, such as open freespace?

Here is a good place to start. Improves graphics and underlying engine. Adds new missions and much more. There are also other mods based on the engine such as Babylon 5 and I think a battlestar galatica was is being made.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    About the only other games that even come close to Freespace's awesomeness was Wing Commander. There were a bunch of those made. They are a lot like Freespace in many ways and some of them had lots of FMV cutscenes. A couple of them even had Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) as the main character, along with a few other film actors. They might be hard to find though. I don't know if any of them are still sold or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_%28franchise%29

4. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
  5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    HAWX. It's a good combat flight sim game.

For space sim, either Freespace 2, Freelancer, or X3.

6. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    i remember the wing commander games, but for me the gameplay just didn't have the same magic, it felt they put too much time into the FMVs rather than polishing the game. For example i hated the cloaking missles which brought down your capital ships in heart of the tiger

Privateer (1993) was better imho (and freelancer is kinda the unoffical newer version)

7. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    i once quickly tried the babylon 5 game, but lacking a joystick at the time i just couldn't get into it

but i'll certainly be trying out the open version and giving the other mods a go

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Freespace was made open source as I recall which made for some fantastic mods
    http://www.moddb.com/
    We also had a thread a while back:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91373

For what it is worth though I have been playing darkstar one for the last couple of weeks and while it is no elite I have been enjoying it a great deal.

9. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    is darkstar more a freespace 2 or freelancer game? (i like both, but freespace 2 definately had more interesting missions and combat)

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It's more freelancer style then freespace 2.

11. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I add another vote for Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. The story's one of the stupidest things I've heard of in recent memory, but if you've got a joystick it's a really enjoyable experience none the less. From what I've heard though, you either love the game, or you hate it, so your mileage may vary.

12. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    its old, but crimson skies?

13. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    i've got a copy of hawx for the 360 but haven't gotten around to giving it much time

a bit of a longshot but i don't suppose there's any way of hooking up the sidewinder joystick to the 360??

i've noticed a fleabay seller selling a ps2 -> 360 adapter recently, anything similar that might do the job?