Hardware need mobo reccomendations. help, please?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you people keep claiming it had DDR3, still no evidence other than "I saw one that had it", yet you think there would be at least a model number or product detail for said boards on the net somewhere
and evga hasnt made an amd motherboard in probably well over 10 years

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well you people keep claiming it had DDR3, still no evidence other than "I saw one that had it", yet you think there would be at least a model number or product detail for said boards on the net somewhere
and evga hasnt made an amd motherboard in probably well over 10 years
First of all, you DO realize EVGA not only is not the only company out there, but that it's almost exclusive to the US, right? Just because they haven't made one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Second, guess what! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excavator_(microarchitecture) Is AM4 and supports DDR3, shocker, right?:P

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Excavator was FM2+, wasn't it?
Not all models. The x86 server ones were AM4 before the x64 (but with different architecture) ones came out. That was at the end of the Excavator line, meaning between December 2015 and January 2016 there were a few motherboards made for it.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Excavator was FM2+, wasn't it?
Originally FM2+ with Carrizo CPUs, then landed on AM4/FP4 with Bristol Ridge CPUs (such as the Athlon X4 970). AFAIK the only Excavator CPUs that can support both DDR3 and DDR4 are for the FP4 socket.
Source:
11.jpg
I might be very wrong, but what might be happening is that in theory these AM4 CPUs COULD support DDR3, but in practice they can only support DDR4 because there's no AM4 board on the market with DDR3 slots (unless AMD specifically removes the DDR3 memory controller on excavator AM4 CPUs, which would make sense in a way, but would also increase production costs on an already budget-oriented product)

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Originally FM2+ with Carrizo CPUs, then landed on AM4/FP4 with Bristol Ridge CPUs (such as the Athlon X4 970). AFAIK the only Excavator CPUs that can support both DDR3 and DDR4 are for the FP4 socket.
Source:
11.jpg
I might be very wrong, but what might be happening is that in theory these AM4 CPUs COULD support DDR3, but in practice they can only support DDR4 because there's no AM4 board on the market with DDR3 slots (unless AMD specifically removes the DDR3 memory controller on excavator AM4 CPUs, which would make sense in a way, but would also increase production costs on an already budget-oriented product)
As I said in what I just posted, it was only towards the end of the Excavator x86 line for servers. The memory controllers were actually for both DDR3 and DDR4. Later models removed DDR3 support to cut down production cost (1 integrated less that surprisingly doesn't affect anything else when taken out) and TDP (by 6 Watts). So you are partially correct. As for why DDR3 AM4 boards can't be found in the regular market, it's simply because there's no company in their right mind that will stock extremely outdated motherboards that no one will ever buy, on top of production already having been limited (they had to be ordered straight from production line).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Don't know why you think AMDs are weird when they are the simplest processors in existence, but oh well...

You are a hard customer, expecting something good with an Intel CPU, one of the best you can find it this one (has pretty much everything you need while having some room for improvement too):
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x8M323/gigabyte-motherboard-gab150md3hddr3

It's most likely isn't gonna be cheap though as DDR3 Motherboards are getting pretty rare at this point...

And you know, if the only problem you are having is really your CPU, why do something so big to change rather than just getting a Ryzen? I mean, you already have all the parts you need, the motherboard supports Ryzen because it's AMD and not Intel (that forces you to change mobo every 3 processors) and will solve you the CPU bottleneck issue at lower a price than the i5 alone!:P
Oh.. Oh my god... This.. This is so far beyond wrong.

To be fair? The only bit of information you've shared that is RIGHT is the early AM4 platform supporting DDR3. SUPER EARLY.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you DO realize EVGA not only is not the only company out there, but that it's almost exclusive to the US, right? Just because they haven't made one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Second, guess what! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excavator_(microarchitecture) Is AM4 and supports DDR3, shocker, right?:P

But EVGA isn't a vendor of AMD they are strictly nvidia and intel like sapphire and xfx is for AMD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
But EVGA isn't a vendor of AMD they are strictly nvidia and intel like sapphire and xfx is for AMD
I never said such a thing. What you said is true. What I was trying to do is clarify that just because one company that doesn't even bother with AMD products didn't make something VERY specific for AMD, doesn't mean nobody did. Also, besides PSUs, at least here, you can't find anything made by EVGA that isn't almost exclusive to Intel CPUs...

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThoD, way to highjack the OP's post. Go make your own thread about this nonsense. Unless you can provide proof that that your 1300x is using ddr3, which it isnt, we won't belive you.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ThoD, way to highjack the OP's post. Go make your own thread about this nonsense. Unless you can provide proof that that your 1300x is using ddr3, which it isnt, we won't belive you.
What are you even talking about? If anything, I'm literally the only one here who gave an actual answer to the OP, everyone else has been spamming replies without answering the OP at all! This thread is meant for motherboard recommendations and out of all the posts, the only recommendation is at the very first reply by me, which is a motherboard that supports i5 while allowing upgradability. Why are you blaming ME for everyone else derailing this thread? I already provided proof that such motherboards exist if only you had paid attention (two links to wikipedia with details). Finally, I did try to end all this arguing but the others just continued it!

PS: I never said I have an 1300X, but that the 1300X and 1300 actually have both DDR3 and DDR4 controllers inside. As part of my job I was asked to upgrade 12 stations to that with one of the motherboards I talked about and it worked just fine, despite me thinking otherwise before trying it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fKm3kqOmqso