Need a new ADSL modem router

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Originality, May 6, 2011.

May 6, 2011
  1. Originality
    OP

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    As in the title, my old Belkin N1 Vision ADSL modem router finally died, so I need a replacement. Searching online using iPad and my newly acquired 3G data plan (£40 per year, unlimited data) is a little hard on the eyes this late at night, so I'm asking here to get a bit of help.

My needs: high end router that won't choke/drop connections when playing demanding games or tormenting overnight. Must be an ADSL modem router for BT phone lines (I.e. Not cable). Must handle up to 6 WiFi connections and 4 wired connections at any given time.
    My budget: looking between £80-130. I want a good router, but I don't need all those expensive fancy extras like 600Mbit WiFi-N or attachable NASC phones. USB attached printer or scanner would be nice, but not necessary. Again, I want to game/torrent with it, so budget routers won't cut it.

So far in my own research I've come across 2 highly recommended routers; LinkSys WAG320N, and Billion BiPAC 7800N. Here's a Overview of the latter.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have not done much in the high end router stakes recently so model numbers are not going to be something I can do but is there a reason you have not opted for devices capable of utilising DD-WRT and co?

3. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Ex-sky dg834gt? Go for around £20 on ebay already flashed to standard netgear firmware instead of sky one. I use one, and I can't speak for torrents (don't use them), mine has never given any problems when gaming online. All four wired ports are in use on mine + a few wireless connections when I need them. Also have the option of dgteam firmware which has some extra stuff in (can't remember exactly what).

Quick search, doesn't revel any issues with them choking on torrents and they always seem to get high reviews and although they are cheap at £20 or so, they aren't really a budget router as it's only the ex-sky ones that are that cheap. Retail ones used to be around £80 I think.

4. Originality
    OP

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've not opted out if DD-WRT capable devices, I just have zero knowledge of it. That's why I'm up for suggestions.

The dg834gt would be a downgrade to me, as it only uses WiFi G+ and not WiFi N, and it also does not have gigabit LAN. Plus I shy away from any ex-telco devices as they universally suck. There's a reason they're given away for free to new customers...

I'm going to have a look at the London computer fair today to see what they have to offer, but until then I'll have a look at DD-WRT routers.