blackjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Features from [http://www.rocketcompany.co.jp/kanken/feature.html]:

- ?

- Learn the Kanji while writing it

- Challenge Mode: ????? Questions / 15, 30, 60 min. Tests(?) with 7 difficulty settings / kanjis from year 2 up to year 20
biggrin.gif

- Training mode

- Game mode

- Calendar and Graph

All in all it looks to me
yaynds.gif
. I hope it has easier kanjis compared to the other games available.

HelloKitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Features from [http://www.rocketcompany.co.jp/kanken/feature.html]:

- ?

- Learn the Kanji while writing it

- Challenge Mode: ????? Questions / 15,30,60 Tests(?) with 7 difficulty settings / kanjis from year 2 up to year 20
biggrin.gif

- Training mode

- Game mode

- Calendar and Graph

All in all it looks to me
yaynds.gif
. I hope it has easier kanjis compared to the other games available.

But it looks like the game is IN Japanese... therefore you have to know kanji in order to learn more kanji?
blink.gif

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Works 4x, Trim ROM.

I like this Kanji software more than the last one. Those were so easy to beat and didn't really do a good job of teaching new Kanji.

This one teaches you how to read and strokes which is much better IMO. Maybe start from JLPT Level 3 onwards? The level 10 stuff is really basic but I wonder why I have to write my number '7' in two strokes in every JP title...

blackjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe start from JLPT Level 3 onwards? The level 10 stuff is really basic but I wonder why I have to write my number '7' in two strokes in every JP title...

I have tried it out and it is very good indeed. It covers a wide area of exercises (reading, strokes, writing).
Also good for people beginning to learn Japanese.

Afaik are you brits the only ones who write "7" with one stroke >_

stryder00

Trophies
XP
Country
I want to try some Kanji learning software for my DS, is the best one available for someone who knows very little kanji? (I know around 30-50).

anotheruser22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
This one teaches you how to read and strokes which is much better IMO. Maybe start from JLPT Level 3 onwards? The level 10 stuff is really basic but I wonder why I have to write my number '7' in two strokes in every JP title...

Haven't seen where it teaches the strokes..... it will ask you what the highlighted stroke is but is there a separate area i'm missing for stroke order?

Regarding the Japanese 7 vs 1 problem, Hard to explain without using pictures and hand gestures but....

If you write the top part of your 7 as a Katakana 'wa' (?) then curve it back as you normally would, it should come out 7 every time. Japanese people write 7 like this to avoid confusion with 1. 1 (One) can be confused with 7 (Seven) as some people draw the horizontal stroke on the one (1) and some don't (7).

This is the best software out there to teach Kanji at the moment though it's designed for Japanese people to prepare for the Kanji proficiency test (Kanji Kentei or Kanken for short). 10 (80 Kanji) being the easiest and 1 being the hardest (6000).

This is not to be confused with the Japanese Proficiency Test. It's a much higher level and you need to be able to write Kanji in context, something that the JPLT doesn't test.

njt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Works 4x, Trim ROM.

I like this Kanji software more than the last one. Those were so easy to beat and didn't really do a good job of teaching new Kanji.

Ya- the thing is you can't skip though you gotta go from level 10 and go up^^;.

*hugs game*
It's still great
biggrin.gif

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's wrong with writing '7' in one stroke?
huh.gif
It's so simple that way!

Good to see you posting again, Njt
laugh.gif

Haven't seen where it teaches the strokes..... it will ask you what the highlighted stroke is but is there a separate area i'm missing for stroke order?

Regarding the Japanese 7 vs 1 problem, Hard to explain without using pictures and hand gestures but....
Â
If you write the top part of your 7 as a Katakana 'wa' (?) then curve it back as you normally would, it should come out 7 every time. Japanese people write 7 like this to avoid confusion with 1. 1 (One) can be confused with 7 (Seven) as some people draw the horizontal stroke on the one (1) and some don't (7).

This is the best software out there to teach Kanji at the moment though it's designed for Japanese people to prepare for the Kanji proficiency test (Kanji Kentei or Kanken for short). 10 (80 Kanji) being the easiest and 1 being the hardest (6000).

This is not to be confused with the Japanese Proficiency Test. It's a much higher level and you need to be able to write Kanji in context, something that the JPLT doesn't test.
Well, I meant it teaches you the number of strokes rather than how to actually write a character.

And yeah, I found I had to write the '7' with a hook at the end, otherwise the software doesn't recognise it.

The problem I've found so far is how it fails to recognise some characters which means you're forced to skip a few questions in the tests.

JLPT is multi-choice only so it's much easier and in that sense this is at a higher level even at level 10 Kanji because you have to write from scratch. Reading (or typing in Romaji) is always easier than writing. However, the software can still help you out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...