ROM Hack .narc file?

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, sorry for the newbish question to start off. I'm using pokemon rom edit tools for pokemon pearl, and it asks to open a .narc file. I've searched around but haven't found anything so informative on the .narc file. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it's used for?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
narc stands for something like nitro archive and they are a common packing format on the DS roms, pokemon uses them extensively (although they are different to some earlier versions/reverse engineered specs so be careful when using earlier tools). Note carc files are compressed narc files (usually lz compression of some form).

You can get at them by either pulling them apart (ndstool or frontends dslazy and dsbuff), stuff like ndsts and ndshv, crystaltile2 or simply slicing them out of the rom with a hex editor.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I guess I will add some more, like FAST6191 said, narc files are archive files. They hold data used by the game for various things.

Examples,

Pokemon Sprites
Pokemon Party Icons
Trainer Sprites
Encounter Data
Item data
Item Icons
Pokemon base stats data
Event data
Map Data
Scripts
the list goes on and on.

Most data worth modifying is in narc files for pokemon DPP.

pokemonfan1221

Trophies
XP
Country
i got the narcfile thing but when i double click it a black window opens and closes quickly.it doesnt work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality