Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We just built a new PC, it's pretty fast. We put in Race Driver GRID and were able to SLAM ALL THE OPTIONS (within the game AND and in the video card) and the game still ran like butter at 1920x1080. Now I just need a steering wheel....... But I have lots of good racing games. And I have a lot of old games that won't really show the power of the new system. I need some suggestions on REALLY FUN recent games to get for the PC. By FUN I mean 3D Action of some sort. I don't want any FPS games as they tend to force keyboard & mouse control on you and I'm not really into those sort of games. I NEED game controller controls.

We have this PC hooked up to our 52" Samsung LCD. Graphics set to 1920x1080. We want to see some sweet graphics with FUN gameplay. We have HDMI digital sound going into the TV and an optical link to the 100watt per channel stereo receiver, so awesome sound would be a plus too. But we have a wireless keyboard/mouse contraption to access the PC with, so a game controller is a must as the little touchscreen mouse deal on the keyboard sucks for games.

I'm trying to get at least one really good FUN game to show off the system and push it to it's limits. Especially since the heaviest requirement game I had was GRID and that didn't phase this PC one bit.

Suggest away!

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Any decent 360 platformer will have made its way on PC by now so just check out the PC and 360 essentials threads. I suggest the following;

Dead Space
Assassins Creed
Crysis (if only to fap over gorgeous graphics)
Race Driver Grid
Mass Effect
Penumbra - Black Plague (scariest game I've played in a long while)
Call Of Duty 4 & HL2 (I know you didn't want FPSes but these stands head and shoulders above all others)
Indigo Prophecy
Need for Speed Most Wanted / Undercover (The first is better but the latter has more eyecandy)
GTA IV
Devil May Cry 4
Prince Of Persia

What are the specs btw?

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Essential PC specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66ghz
Radeon 4670 (direct HDMI to 52" TV with digital sound)
4gigs RAM
2.5TB of hard drive space. (500GB main, 2-1TB storage drives)
Logitech wireless RumblePad II
Windows Vista Home Premium (official store-bought disk)

Runs GRID like butter with every graphic option slammed to max at 1920x1080.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prince of Persia like Xcali said is a good recommendation. Possibly Devil May Cry 4, though it gets boring after a few levels (just realised Xcali said that as well aha).
Fallout 3 is day-amn fun, and should work with an X360 controller, and if you especially hate guns then just use the melee weapons I guess.

Wow, I ran out of ideas already, seems the PC is even more saturated with FPS' than I thought :\.

EDIT: Saints Row 2 is good fun too, probably worth a go!

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Essential PC specs:
4gigs RAM

Wow. Can you send me a pic of her? I wont post her on any Amateur sites, i swear. Its for my private collection.

Also - Um, maybe NOT what you're looking for, but higher end Mame games would be amazing for those. The CHD-required games could be a blast and a half w/ that much power (full speed playing), but that could also be a waste of good power.

I haven't done much PC gaming recently, thanks to lack of internet, but soon enough i might be able to toss out some good options
smile.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Trolly said:
Prince of Persia like Xcali said is a good recommendation. Possibly Devil May Cry 4, though it gets boring after a few levels (just realised Xcali said that as well aha).
Fallout 3 is day-amn fun, and should work with an X360 controller, and if you especially hate guns then just use the melee weapons I guess.

Wow, I ran out of ideas already, seems the PC is even more saturated with FPS' than I thought :\.

EDIT: Saints Row 2 is good fun too, probably worth a go!

I head Saints Row 2 PC is a bunch of crap, the port is very bad.

Unreal Tournament and Far Cry 2 are 2 FPS' that really have kick-ass graphics.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of putting in NFS Most Wanted Black Edition......I have the original disk of it......but I don't think it will really impress me all that much. I've played it on an X1600 Radeon and Athlon64 2.4ghz for awhile now.

I have other games like Silent Hill and Psychonaughts and Flatout 2 and Spiderman 3....I got a whole box full of old games, but like I said, those games won't show me more than I've already seen out of them.....ya know what I mean? Not to mention the fact that some of them may not even work in Vista. I kinda stopped bothering with PC games when they started requiring multi-core CPU's and I only had the single core, so that's where my PC gaming ended.

I know finding a good game for the PC that uses a game controller is rough, but personally, I HATE keyboard and mouse control. I can understand it's use in some games, but many just LACKED AN OPTION for game controllers. That's another issue I have with PC games nowadays.

I was looking at this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC2GzK7Aw4c&fmy=18

It looks fun, but let me guess, it uses KB&M controls.
unsure.gif
Right?

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Left 4 Dead and CS:S handle controllers well I think.
I've played some nice Left 4 Dead splitscreen with an extra PS3 controller.
Haven't tried CS:S with a controller much so I wouldn't know.
Remember hooking up my Wiimote and playing CS 1.6 though.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed Mercenaries 2. Works with a controller, but not quite as exciting as I was hoping. Too many FPS-like parts.

It runs with everything cranked except water effects. When I turn that on the whole game slows to a crawl.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, the water effects is a bug, but there should be a patch to fix it around. And I never bought that game after playing the demo, it's spectacularly awful and just not very fun. It looks and feels like a PS2 game, and doesn't do much more than the original Mercenaries.
Though that was just the demo, there's probably more to the actual game.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
updowners said:
Get bionic commando rearmed. I heard it plays better with a gamepad.

OOH! That sounds like a winner! I remember hearing good things about that one a while back! Thanks for reminding me of its existence. (goes to check out some vids)

I tried putting in NFS Most Wanted in, but it doesn't support widescreen resolutions, so I uninstalled it. I just can't deal with those black borders on a widescreen, nor can I stand a stretched perspective in a game.

I found Flatout Ultimate Destruction for $10 new, so I bought that and put it in.

I put in that Mercenaries 2 game, but I wasn't too impressed with that one.......too much FPS-like crap. (I hate FPS's, no offense to anyone who does like them)

Street Fighter IV will be a MUST when it gets released.

WildWon, I didn't forget about you. I will post pics of the system eventually. Please be patient.

Whew! Drank 5 16-ounce brewskies and feeling good right now. WOOT! Might even drink another before I finally crash. As it is, I'm looking at 4.5 hours of sleep if I go to sleep instantly. I usually require at least 6 hours.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Old game but... Resident Evil 4! Not only can you play with gamepad, you HAVE to play with gamepad.

I have that lying around somewhere.....good suggestion! Does it run OK in Vista?

I put in FRAPS to see how well the system was doing in Race Driver GRID. I'm averaging 45fps, and like I said, that's with all graphics options slammed and at 1920x1080 res. My goodness is GRID a freakin' SWEET game! Especially on a 52" widescreen. I've always considered anything over 30fps as good enough. I MUST get a steering wheel for that one.....maybe I'll do that with the ~$1450.00 I have coming in tax returns. Steering is way too sensitive with a Logitech dual-analog rumblepad.

Got that Bionic Commando game DL'ing as we speak.
smileipb2.png

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
Essential PC specs:
4gigs RAM

fuck u
frown.gif

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Rayder said:
Essential PC specs:
4gigs RAM

fuck u
frown.gif

It's just one of 8 PC's we have here. Wait until you see the pics. We have it in a case with a 7" touchscreen (it's called a Moncaso case and it alone cost over $400) that's got its own stuff going on while we're getting 45fps in GRID. Probably would be a little faster if I shut that 2nd screen off.
nyanya.gif

I'm taking your FU as a compliment. Thanks!

theoperator288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the 1TB drives? I'm looking around for a decent 1.5TB drive and most i found (when not on sale) were around $130 USD. Any suggestions?

Also, a game suggestion: Lord of the Rings Conquest (just for looks, gameplay is alright). Also, if you are looking to TEST the system, (and I hate using it as a staple) but Crysis has crazy specs for it. Going to try and think of some good test....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol