N3DS downgrade?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Drak0rex, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Haven't been keeping up with things N3DS since I didn't have one but now I do. Would it be possible to downgrade a N3DS to 4x using Gateway's downgrade feature?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Not possible, even 2DS can't be downgraded.

3. vingt-2

vingt-2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    Canada
    N3DS and 2DS hardware relies on software changes that have been introduced in later FW revision. Downgrading to version prior to each hardware release is probably never going to be an option.

4. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Anyway, a downgrade requires full privileges already. It's only relevant for the old 3DS because the 4.5 exploit is easier to be triggered than the browser one.

5. godofwrath

godofwrath GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    That's not to say that maybe has a strong attachment to the DS profile exploit and finds a way to patch out the fix with another exploit (at which point you may as well just use the first exploit for whatever you wanted in the first place).

But maybe somebody is just that attached, and that's something that happened (This would also be around the time cfw would probably be flourishing and we have a bunch of different cfw we could use, like rogero and etc)

Basically, no to your question, but maybe, if somebody really feels that attached to the ds profile exploit, maybe the ds profile exploit could make a re-appearance.

6. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    Plus the N3DS lowest firmware can only be 8.1 I think so even if you could downgrade with an old NAND dump there isn't a 4.x firmware for N3DS

7. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Question: Is it even possible install the "Use blocked flashcards" cia file then use the blue card to launch the exploit on 9.0 firmware?

8. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Much like the Wii, the system has to have been available on it at an earlier time in its life. For the Wii it was due to ios in the system being needed. For the 3DS the software outright lacks compatibility.

9. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    The DS Profile exploit and other exploits that Gateway used for firmwares 4.X were patched after 4.5. So there's no point in installing the GW Installer.

10. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States

Actually MSET (DS profile exploit) wasn't patched until 7.0.0-13
    The kernel exploit originally used by GW was patched in 5.0.

11. moneychild

moneychild Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    Can someone directly write a 4.x firmware to the N3ds?

To explain a little, when people got the blue screen of death using the old 3ds, one option was opening up the 3ds and do some soldering then using a computer, write their backup nand to the 3ds.
    I know you not suppose to write a nand from a different 3ds but as for my question, is it a little possible?
    (ps: I am just an idiot with a wild mind so pardon my insane idea)

12. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Oh yeah
    Oh yeah I forgot you can just use a DSTwo. But I guess as you say, the exploit won't work.
    The N3DS will have to make use of the browser exploit once support is released right? I'm so not looking forward to that unstable exploit.

13. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    No. Each console has a unique encryption key.

14. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    It's possible that they may use a different exploit instead of using the browser. Maybe that's why it's taken them so long to release a new update for support for the New3DS?

I don't know the exact specifics of what firmware patched what and that's why I typed "after 4.5".

MattKimura likes this.
  15. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    Remove post, please.