Hacking N00b questions 2019

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi very new to the 3DS scene and while there are posts around, nothing that answered everything, nor dated current, so I thought id summerise a post to answer, incase anyone else had same questions going in.

If anyone could describe any processes like how the WiiU "Brazilian Meathod" process was, id appreciate it, as thats the only simular thing i have done.

CONSOLE
- New 3DS XL over New 2DS XL?
Ive heard some n3DSxl have IPS and some have TN pannels, but n2DSxl only have TN?
If you could pick up either, for the same price, which would you pick?

For now ive grabbed a New 2DS XL - 11.9.0-42E

SD CARDS
- Obviously id pick up a Class 10 U3 micro SD, but now im seeing A1, A2, V30 cards
Greater speed worth it on a n2DS or the port/bus to inferior to bother?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FCMKK5X/ref=psdc_1345826031_t1_B07FCMRBTM
Ive seen non A2 cards also 128gb go for £22 on Argos.co.uk
Do 256gb cards even work? Doesnt seem worth it for tripple the price..

If I try a meathod on the standard 4Gb card, can I just copy & paste the data to a larger card and just work?
Or do whole process again?

MEATHOD
- Whats the most current meathod for hacking a New 2DS XL - 11.9.0-42E ?
Ive seen utube videos saying Fred/Frog/other Miner,
some saying they need you to download a demo/free game from eShop,
some saying if in EU cant get a free one,
another saying can get some SUB game but need unpatched one,
some saying just need a web brute force meathod via a friend code,
but then still need Python installed and high powered GPU,
then another saying theres a site that does it for you?

So confused, thought id just ask which is the most recent, easist meathod/as simple as Brazilain meathod for Wiiu

Few years back i did the "Brazilian Meathod" which consisted of placing files on an SD card to install Homebrew Launcher, getting the legit ISOs from a program on PC (uTikDownloadHelper) which grabbed NUS files (.app/.h3), placing them on SD, then running the WebBrowser on the WiiU to exploit running Homebrew which installed the ISO on to the console, without the need for CFW, allowing online play.

I believe when i looked up about the 3DS a few years ago, was shocked to find out you didnt need a PC to download the NUS games, there was a Homebrew app that downloaded in and unpacked straight to the 3DS?
Was that really so?
Did I head Nintendo locked down NUS last year?

CFW vs Non CFW
As mentioned above, I never put CFW on my WiiU, and was able to use Online fine (mainly XenoBlade ChonX, some marioKart)
as all games where installed to a external HDD but intergrated into the WiiU HomeScreen as legit titles.
As I understand the only reason to get CFW on WiiU was if i wanted retro/eshop/other homebrew without using browser exploit each time?
Is this same case for n2DS? Could I still go online? Not worth risking?
Or CFW is worth more than any online play/Street pass usage?

System Link/Multiplay
- If block all connections, can still do multiplayer/pkmn trades etc?
Or do you need to enable Streetpass that would potentialy ungrade/brick console?
Or just no compatibilty between CFW console games and normal 3DSs? (just thinking of friends/comicon attendance :P )

FILE FORMAT BACKUPS
-Which is the original format you want to keep, to then convert?
I have several .3ds that used on Citra, and some NUS (.app/.h3) files.
Am i right in thinking CIAs are NUS (.app/.h3) packed like a zip?

Possible to convert/switch between them?

If you take the time to answer all this thankyou :)
Honestly pondering about swapping out the n2DS xl for a n3DS xl ....
OR just get a Switch.. But as I understand you need a totally unpatched one?
I have access to a bunch of 2nd hand Switches but think they are all upgraded.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to answer all of your questions, but I'll answer the main ones.
  1. To install B9S and CFW, you should follow this guide. It's the definitive guide that almost everyone will recommend you use. Video guides should be avoided, as they are often outdated and/or outright wrong.
  2. Installing B9S and Luma3DS will cause CFW (Luma3DS) to be launched automatically each time you boot your 3DS. Luma3DS is like Mocha or Haxchi. B9S is what launches the CFW.
  3. CFW is required to be able to play game backups, unlike on the Wii U where CFW is only required under specific circumstances.
  4. You will need to install your games from CIA files, very similar to how you install WUP files on the Wii U.
  5. If you use a small 4GB SD card first, you can easily transfer to another SD card just by copying everything over to the new SD card.
  6. Which 3DS model you get is a matter of preference. I personally believe the 3D feature is unneeded.
  7. It's safe to play online using Luma3DS and game backups. It is recommended that you do what the above guide suggests to mitigate your risks.

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not going to answer all of your questions, but I'll answer the main ones.
DAYM you were QUICK!!!

"..unlike on the Wii U where CFW is only required under specific circumstances."

"install your games from CIA files, similar to installing WUP files on the WiiU."

"easily transfer to another SD card just by copying everything over to the new SD card."

YOU'RE A STAR :)
Thats the bulk answerd. Thanks!

"It's safe to play online using Luma3DS and game backups"
How about non online games?
Ive never done LAN/System link/Gameshare with a DS, and know you block everything, so wasnt sure if can have quick game of SSBros/MarioKart/Pokemon item trade/Streetpass??

"Which 3DS model you get is a matter of preference. I personally believe the 3D feature is unneeded."
Agreed, but just wondering if people have expierenced either as a better console?
Heard IPS screens on n3DSxl superior?
Better battery life on n3DSxl as n2DSxl had smaller battery and was a cut down bugget version of all its components?

1 new question:
Larger battery. Looked on Amazon/ebay was supprised not many larger ones. Any experiences on this?
I replaced the WiiU gamepads battery, very worth it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DAYM you were QUICK!!!

YOU'RE A STAR :)
Thats the bulk answerd. Thanks!

Ive never done LAN/System link/Gameshare with a DS, and know you block everything, so wasnt sure if can have quick game of SSBros/MarioKart/Pokemon item trade/Streetpass??

Agreed, but just wondering if people have expierenced either as a better console?
Heard IPS screens on n3DSxl superior?
Better battery life on n3DSxl as n2DSxl had smaller battery and was a cut down bugget version of all its components?

1 new question:
Larger battery. Looked on Amazon/ebay was supprised not many larger ones. Any experiences on this?
I replaced the WiiU gamepads battery, very worth it.
As long as you're not cheating online, it's safe to do pretty much anything you want on the 3DS. I don't recommend installing custom CIA files (i.e. homebrew titles installed right to the home menu). Stick to official games. Any homebrew application you want to run can be done through the Rosalina homebrew menu. Both of the aforementioned things have gotten some people banned, but you can mitigate those risks (and/or just not do them). Offline play is obviously safe.

I've never had any battery issues with my 3DS, but I have also replaced the battery in my Wii U gamepad, so I know what you're talking about. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Quantumcat

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok last questions!

FORMATS for BACKUP

Ive seen posts about converting 3ds>CIA
Which is best original to keep as a backup?
3ds? NUS (.app/.h3)?
NUS downloaders still a thing?
Did I hear right, about Nintendo securing it all last year?

SAVES
How easy is it to upload/download the game saves?
Ill probally be using this a bit like a switch, playing a game in 1080p via Citra, then some portably via 3DS.
Can they just be C&Pasted from SD card?
Or need to be extracted via network, like Saviine on WIIU?

SD CARDS
- Greater speed worth it on a n2DSxl, or just get biggest size you can, as the port/bus/connection limit the speed too much??

I will get a decent Class 10 U3 micro SD
but im now im seeing formats listed for enhanced speeds, such as A1, A2, V30 cards

Thanks again for your time :)

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
ok last questions!

FORMATS for BACKUP

Ive seen posts about converting 3ds>CIA
Which is best original to keep as a backup?
3ds? NUS (.app/.h3)?
NUS downloaders still a thing?
Did I hear right, about Nintendo securing it all last year?

SAVES
How easy is it to upload/download the game saves?
Ill probally be using this a bit like a switch, playing a game in 1080p via Citra, then some portably via 3DS.
Can they just be C&Pasted from SD card?
Or need to be extracted via network, like Saviine on WIIU?

SD CARDS
- Greater speed worth it on a n2DSxl, or just get biggest size you can, as the port/bus/connection limit the speed too much??

I will get a decent Class 10 U3 micro SD
but im now im seeing formats listed for enhanced speeds, such as A1, A2, V30 cards

Thanks again for your time :)
Keep cias no matter what.
Don't know about NUS, but you can definitely use Google ;).
Just ge JKSM move your saves however you want. Copy paste should do the job.
Just get a bigger size. But then again, how many games do you plan on playing at the same time?

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't recommend installing custom CIA files (i.e. homebrew titles installed right to the home menu). Stick to official games. Any homebrew application you want to run can be done through the Rosalina homebrew menu. Both of the aforementioned things have gotten some people banned, but you can mitigate those risks (and/or just not do them).

Hold on. The 3DS hack guide that everybody uses had me installing certain homebrew. Does this mean I am at risk of being banned now? I don't really play much online (and never cheat), but my 3DS is pretty much permanently connected to the internet.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on. The 3DS hack guide that everybody uses had me installing certain homebrew. Does this mean I am at risk of being banned now? I don't really play much online (and never cheat), but my 3DS is pretty much permanently connected to the internet.
As long as you're not installing Homebrew applications from CIA files, you're good. Even if you do, you're probably safe. This is my own advice.

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As long as you're not installing Homebrew applications from CIA files, you're good. Even if you do, you're probably safe.
Yeah, it's from CIA files. If I recall correctly, the guide has you install the Homebrew Launcher, FBI, Checkpoint, Anemone, and Luma3DS Updater.

Well, so far, I haven't been banned yet, so I am guessing it'll be fine?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's from CIA files. If I recall correctly, the guide has you install the Homebrew Launcher, FBI, Checkpoint, Anemone, and Luma3DS Updater.

Well, so far, I haven't been banned yet, so I am guessing it'll be fine?
Hm, I see that now. It didn't used to do that, except with a copy of the Homebrew Launcher. I personally would not install those CIA files. That being said, there's still very little risk of being banned, particularly if you take the steps in the guide to mitigate your ban risk by disabling the SpotPass setting and the Show What You're Playing setting.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're not installing Homebrew applications from CIA files, you're good. Even if you do, you're probably safe. This is my own advice.
Please don't spread this as nothing conclusive has ever been found. It is a possibility, but all bans have come from abusing online features and/or playing leaked titles online.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't spread this as nothing conclusive has ever been found. It is a possibility, but all bans have come from abusing online features and/or playing leaked titles online.
The May 2017 banwave was caused mostly by the installation of homebrew titles directly to the home menu, according to the surveys. Of those who installed those illegitimate titles, people who had the aforementioned SpotPass and Friend List settings disabled were a lot less likely to be banned. While we can't know for sure, we're about 95% sure illegitimate titles did it.

All other bans are what you listed.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The May 2017 banwave was caused mostly by the installation of homebrew titles directly to the home menu, according to the surveys. Of those who installed those illegitimate titles, people who had the aforementioned SpotPass and Friend List settings disabled were a lot less likely to be banned. While we can't know for sure, we're about 95% sure illegitimate titles did it.

All other bans are what you listed.
I'm inclined to believe that these votes were from people just guessing, and the general consensus amongst devs was that Doodlebomb was the culprit since it abused an online feature. We did some trial and error during this time, and it was found that the majority banned had used Doodlebomb. For those that didn't, but still had installed homebrew CIAs, had probably done something dumb and just didn't want to admit to it because this is how herd mentality works. If history serves, Nintendo blanket bans when they roll out the hammer. They just do a catchall for abusers. This all said, though, the 3DS has effectively reached EOL. I wouldn't worry about any future bans except for cheating.

Last edited by Joom,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm inclined to believe that these votes were from people just guessing, and the general consensus amongst devs was that Doodlebomb was the culprit since it abused an online feature. We did some trial and error during this time, and it was found that the majority banned had used Doodlebomb. For those that didn't, but still had installed homebrew CIAs, had probably done something dumb and just didn't want to admit to it because this is how herd mentality works. If history serves, Nintendo blanket bans when they roll out the hammer. They just do a catchall for abusers. This all said, though, the 3DS has effectively reached EOL. I wouldn't worry about any future bans except for cheating.
While Doodlebomb could have been a factor, it definitely wasn't the driving force of the ban wave. Anecdotally, of all of the 3DS systems I setup for people, only the ones that had illegitimate titles installed got banned, and none of them touched Doodlebomb. SpotPass and Friends List settings also seemed to reduce the risk. These were not tech savvy users.
The polling also seems to show this.

Selectively looking at the numbers that allegedly support your hypothesis while ignoring the numbers that don't because "those numbers are the lies" isn't very honest.

Last edited by Lacius,

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciate all your replies guys.
Been going through the guides, downloading all the bits in prep...
Come on today to see guide has changed and now its asking me to update to 11.10 (currently 11.9)

Should I just continue?
Files will be different?
I will need to be on latest firmware, especially to go online? (i didnt have to with Wii U)

While I was expecting to use the n2DSxl offline,
I was thinking about situations I may be in, such as going to events/Comicon/Train/out with friends.
If I was ever asked to trade pokemon, pokemon battle, race on mariokart, Smash battle etc, this can be done via wireless/lazer/systemlink without connecting online?
Would I have to just appologise to the person and say my system aint compatible, because of CFM or danger of being banned?
Or as mentioned above by someone, Im free to install any CIA, legit or not, as long as I dont install custom cia/homebrew?

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noob question - is updating fw from 11.9 (on cfw) to 11.10 required for online play ? Or can I delay it?

And online still works for 3ds games, hasn't been shut down?

How would I play something like Mario Kart DS online without a flashcart but the original game? Can I get patches to load when I insert the game (something like Wimmfi), or...

thx

Also are there custom maps on MK DS or MK7 like MK Wii with CTGP?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0