PS1/2 (Mythbusting) Can PS2 broke any TVs?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
How in the everliving fuck could a video cable damage a TV?
If you plug too many stuff to a CRT it'll explode. Happened to my friend when we were playing video games on it.
A big bright light then the glass shattered. I got a little scared. I was a kid. My friend had all kinds of stuff plugged into his electrical outlet and tv and boom a popping sound.

Last edited by SG854,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's possible for a non-multistandard display to be damaged by an unsupported input signal (and some monitor and video card combinations of the early 1990s would indeed result in damage if you booted the PC with the monitor on instead of skipping the low resolution boot screens)...

I also remember my PS1 outputting what my TV considered NTSC for about a second before the bootlogo; however to the best of my knowledge (never had a PS2 and don't have that TV anymore in the first place) I've never heard of such problems with any consumer game console...

...which is not to deny there probably are truckloads of shit-designed and shit-built TVs, though

Reactions: raulpica

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this myth originated back in the CRT days - CRTs could be pretty much be driven at any frequency, and if the wrong frequency was kept for too long on screen, legend says it could go blammo. At least that's what UniVBE said back in the 90s.

Honestly there's no risk at all with LCDs. Heck, there wasn't any with a PS2 back then either, consoles weren't like PCs where you could just input random frequencies and break stuff. They work on standard frequencies and that's it.

I believe you're correct. I remember the dreaded term "SCREEN BURN" being tossed around back in the day. The parents caught wind of this, and then mom would hound us: "ENOUGH of that damned ATARI!! Don't you know that it'll RUIN the TV set?!"
:rolleyes:

To be fair, I have seen older (CRT) sets with things like Pac-Man boards permanently 'ghosted' in the background, hehe.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I believe you're correct. I remember the dreaded term "SCREEN BURN" being tossed around back in the day. The parents caught wind of this, and then mom would hound us: "ENOUGH of that damned ATARI!! Don't you know that it'll RUIN the TV set?!"
:rolleyes:

To be fair, I have seen older (CRT) sets with things like Pac-Man boards permanently 'ghosted' in the background, hehe.
Yeah, screen burn is a totally different issue at all, which sadly, does happen with CRTs. Loads of arcade screens have got levels permanently burned in them :D

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loads of arcade screens have got levels permanently burned in them :D

Ohhhh yeah, I've seen plenty of 'em. Oftentimes amusing to see. As example, the cabinet will say 'Mr. Do', but you'll clearly be able to see something like a motorbike game and/or layers of the previous Mr. Do levels ghosted into the background, heh.
(Also covered in cigarette burns, old gum, and grime, but that's another story.)

Reactions: raulpica

Kilo_SSK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is boomer lore, the same as "you've installed Chrome/Firefox and now my computer is full of viruses", when they just added 11 "perfectly harmless" toolbars to their browser.
It was just a way to have us move our arses away from the screen so they could watch what they wanted, don't worry!

By the way, the whole "don't play PS1 games in a PS2, it'll break it" story was BS as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kontrolfreek.com/products/south-park-kenny-edition-thumbsticks?utm_source=facebook&ut...