my Phone does weird things oO

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Youkai, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Well yeah no idea what I could have used as a title as it is hard to describe the Problem shortly.

I have a Nexus 4 and since two days there seems to be something wrong with the phone.
    First time I noticed was after I put my phone with 99% power level on my desk only to find it with ~10% left the next morning showing me facebook messenger which didn't work any more having sucked out more than 60% energy while not even being started oO!

than later I noticed a loud music playing and thought my GF was listening to music but no it was Whatsapp which made the music even thought I ALLWAYS have my phone on silent (not even vibration, fully silent) plus I never switched the whatsapp sound to some music anyways ...
    well turned it off again switched the music back to that *beep* sound or whatever only to get waken up at about 11pm by that loud whatsapp music again !

I downloaded Avira Antivirus and scanned everything without any findings.

So currently I am thinking of formatting the phone but I would prefer not to and if it is some weird guy hacking into my phone I don't think formatting would solve the problem....
    any idea what I can do or any idea what is actually happening with the phone ????

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Actually formatting will solve most problems like those if you haven't rooted.
    If that fails do a full stock restore.
    If that also fails, it might be a hardware issue.

3. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I have rooted the phone some time ago ^^V

So you think it really is something software related ? I was wondering if there might have been some nice hacker doing a good job annoying me :P

thanks for you answer

4. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    No one would bother doing that, unless the "hack" is merely a simple prank.

5. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    These are the kind of problems that you will only find on a #LagDroid, that's one of the reasons why I switched to Windows Phone and you should do the same ;)

6. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    >Lagdroid
    What is this? 2009?

Ironically I found WP far more inferior.

Mario92 likes this.
  7. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It's probably using its permissions to keep the system awake. Use App Ops and disable its ability to wake the device and keep the device awake. That usually fixes it. And for good measure, apply those to the Google Play Services as well. It can be a troublesome app from time to time.
    Check your Whatsapp settings. I haven't used it myself, but it could be some kind of persistent notification.

8. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Facebook messenger is wakelocking your device, nothing more to it. It was running, even if you say it wasn't.

9. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Lol windows phone, its just going to make things worse with that doa os

Anyway op I suggest you install greenify, will stop those rouge apps from waking up

10. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    FB, FB messenger, whatsapp, antivirus apps.. all of them are battery eaters. Get root, install wakelock detector and check whats keeping your device awake, draining your battery. Even if you dont use some apps they can start themselves in the background and still drain your battery, so be carefull.

Also windows phone.. lol, nice one :lol:

11. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Basically this is perfect advice. Greenify then what you don't need.

12. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    Windows Phone is far superior then Android, have you even seen the Windows Phone 8.1 gdr1 update? Comeback with a real argument ;)

13. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    +1 for Greenify. You can get a pay version on the Play Store that works with system apps, or get a free version on XDA that doesn't. Or pirate. Your choice.

Oh, the last phone to come to market with voice commands?

14. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    Voice commands have been there since long ago, however they made the first useful voice assistance with 8.1. it actually works compared to Siri and Google Now.

15. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    I suppose being able to predict WC was nice.
    Anything else? Last I checked it's just iOS but worse.

16. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    It sounds like a problem i had before but with the camera.

Image glitching up, camera making an awful and loud clicking noise while focusing and finally phone rebooting while in camera mode.

17. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    its better then Siri, this is an actual useful Voice Assistance, you should watch some reviews videos of Cortana and you will understand. (a New one, they have just updated her server side)

18. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Have u tried hiring an Exorcist :unsure:

19. Drink the Bleach

Drink the Bleach This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014

Banned
    Apr 5, 2014
    United States
    Android can and does get viruses/spamware. A recent app you may have tried or a clever ad in your browser could have installed spamware or changed a few settings. If you can't figure out what to do, and can't fix it by factory reset, then use Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) to flash stock, re-unlock bootloader if you haven't already locked it, and re-perform the steps necessary to re-root.

If you're in TWRP, never wipe your system partition unless you have a contingency plan, like adb ready to go or have a flashable rom on a flash drive for USBOTG.

Any method should take 15 minutes at the most.

I reccommend using Titanium Backup to save any app save data you may want to keep, but I think NRT has a similar function.

20. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013

Yes i've seen recent updates for WP, i'm following mobile OS development very closely and clearly i can say you know nothing about mobile OSes sir.