My new gaming desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by KingBlank, Jan 3, 2012.

Jan 3, 2012

My new gaming desktop by KingBlank at 10:56 PM (1,501 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. KingBlank
    OP

Member KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    Ordered these parts a few days ago, case and power supply arrived today :D

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600K
    RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 (2X4 GB sticks)
    MudaBord - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
    Graphics - GeForce 560 Ti
    Case - Coolermaster HAF912
    Power Supply - ADATA750 W
    HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
    Monitor - LG E2241V

Im getting a free sata 2 dvd drive
    and planing on getting another gpu when this comp cant handle the latest games.

What do u guys think?
    any compatibility issues?

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Looks all good to me :) Better than my rig and I can play everything max stlll (I've tried over 620 games on steam )

I think your gpu will be good enough for a long time tbh.

1 person likes this.
  3. Giggtysword344

Member Giggtysword344 I want some Scum Nyums

United States
    My scouter detects, that im Jelly

3 people like this.
  4. KingBlank
    OP

New Zealand

Thatz good :D, me so exited :D

5. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I doubt you will need 8gb, but I have only used at most 4gb at once. You can always use 1-2gb of RAM to store cache and tempfiles which would result in absurdly fast loading times of whatever is being used there.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Interesting. How would you configure Windows to use the RAM for storing cache and temp files?

That aside, I don't see any problems with your build. The i7-2600K is overkill for games, but having HT won't hurt for general performance. You've not mentioned any third party heatsink-fan, so I can only assume you don't plan on over clocking it. Also, don't go for SLI in a gaming machine - that's counter productive (due to micro stuttering issues with multi-GPU rigs). Besides, the GTX 560 Ti is good enough to max out most games anyway on a 22" monitor.

For your next investment, consider getting a small SSD to use as a system (or smart caching) drive. Only 60GB is needed for smart caching, and only 90GB is needed for a system drive. Any more is just bonus for if you install games onto that drive. Either way, a SSD will produce faster boot and app loading times.

7. KingBlank
    OP

New Zealand
    Thanks for the feedback,
    i got the 2600k cause it was cheaper than the 2500 almost everywhere :D
    there is a nice wee mini SSD drive thingie on my motherboard that would be ideal for a 60 GB drive,
    when i upgrade next ill get that :D.
    also, are you saying SLI is a waste of time?
    would it be better value to simply sell my current GPU in a few years time and buy a new one?
    I host lots of servers for gaming with friends and want to try out my 3D data projector.

any more advice?

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    I don't believe a projector will be affected by the power of your graphics card.

The only justifiable purpose for having multi-GPU setups (SLI/CrossFire) is for video editing, modelling and animation, all of which use every resource available to increase rendering performance and carry out a huge workload (in processing power) faster. If it's just for gaming, the performance gain isn't worth introducing micro stuttering to your gameplay experience. Then again, if you have slow eyes, you won't notice the micro stuttering (I've got very fast eyes, so I noticed straight away in technology shows - it's like viewing a game at only 18-20fps).

What I've done is use my HD 4870 for the last 4ish years. I can still play any game, so I don't feel the need to upgrade yet. When a game comes out that I can only run in low settings, that's when I'll upgrade. To me, this makes much more sense than getting a multi-GPU setup.

Also, new graphics card series from AMD and nVidia are coming out next month. It'll be interesting to see how the HD 7 series and GTX 6 series shape up.

1 person likes this.
  9. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    If you tend to leave your computer on mostly continuously, using a 60-90 GB SSD only for the windows pagefile and specific game installations may be better for game performance than using it as the boot drive. You gain a good chunk of usable space leaving Windows on the mechanical disk, in a system that would see improvement only in the boot time and probably not anywhere else.
    I used to have a 60 GB SSD and this info really would have helped back before I built a new system in August :rolleyes:

I personally have a 120gb SSD and use it for Windows, pagefile, and game installations, but i usually put non-Steam games on my 7200 RPM HDD since I load them less often.
    I do notice a major difference in really data intensive games such as The Sims 3 and World of Warcraft in loading times between the two storage types, for what it's worth. Those are the only ones I've consciously compared between SSD and HDD on my system though.

10. Originality

United Kingdom
    To add, due to widespread freezing issues last night and a friend spilling tea down the top fan of his computer, we've just ordered a complete motherboard upgrade kit each.

My parts:
    ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z (MoBo)
    Core i5-2500K (CPU)
    8GB Corsair XMS3 (RAM)
    Corsair H60 (cooling)
    OCZ Vertex 3 128GB (SSD)

This will be added to my Antec 1200 case, Enermax 1kW PSU, Radeon HD4870 graphics, and 2x1GB Samsung F1 HDDs.

My friend is getting the same except for the RAM, and instead of the Corsair H60 he's getting an Antec Kuhler. He's also getting a SilverStone FT02B-W case and Antec TruePower 650W PSU.

It's next day delivery, so I'll post here to let you know how much having the second fastest SSD helps.

11. KingBlank
    OP

New Zealand
    Bad luck, that tea spilling must have made a mess!
    I think ill go with what you say and put the windows pagefile on the SSD along with Garrys Mod (cause it has the SLOWEST loading time of any game ive ever played)
    Thanks for all the help.
    I will let yah know when ive build this computer.

12. Zetta_x

United States
    I have just started using this utility so I cannot comment on stability but overall reviews seem good! Here is an introduction to it:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*&p=442160&viewfull=1#post442160

13. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    You just gave me a reason to keep my extra 8 GB of RAM (16 total) installed XD I was planning on removing the 2 spare modules next time I had reason to open the case because one of my matched pairs isn't performing as fast as my original pair (despite being identical spec).

1 person likes this.
  14. Zetta_x

United States
    I have had 8gb of RAM for over a year and a half now and have never used more than 4-5gb at once, I have been playing around with this and so far I allocated 2gb of RAM for whatever. I have thrown my browsers' cache, computer temp files, and left a folder for whatever I want.

15. Zetta_x

United States

I am shitforbrainsthisisobviouslynotmyrealname. I keep dozens of abandon children in my basement playing games like WOW to do nothing but farm gold. This one child asked to use the bathroom and I had to use the bathroom because of how hard I laughed. I'm investing in technology to get the children's hands replaced with keyboards and mice to improve how fast they can farm gold in WOW. I then sell all of the WOW gold and buy more computers for the children. My top kid can farm on 3 accounts at once for 3 days straight before having seizures. I hired a private doctor because one more report to CPS and things will get complicated. Do not let these children's effort go to waste. Buy my gold at Imafatsnugilysomabitchwhosellsonlinegoldinplacesheshouldnt.com

16. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    :wtf:

Back to topic, WOW that Rig looks Awesome, Wish i got that kinda rig...., You might wanna check the motherboard again for it's full compability. but i guess you already check it, Anyways a good one, this rig will last a few years, no need to change your ram or anything, When the time comes those ram can be pulled off and inserted in another rig, besides latest games these days need lots of ram, Maybe more in the future

17. KingBlank
    OP

New Zealand
    Ram is nice and cheap too :D, its about 10$ a gig, 80 bucks for that 8 gigs i have there

1 person likes this.
  18. Originality

United Kingdom
    I said I'd post about my upgrade, so here it goes.

CPU (i5-2500K) hovers around 14C. I heard liquid cooling is supposed to be stuck at ambient temperatures, but it seems not). This is quite impressive, seeing how I'm used to seeing 30-35C on my previous air-cooled rig.
    SSD: Windows boots in 27 seconds. I can also feel the difference when loading all the various programs installed on C. I still need to reroute the multimedia and download folders to my HDD, but that can come in time.
    Motherboard: The RoG EPI looks so nice~ ... I just wish the mouse moved a bit more freely. I haven't overclocked it yet, but I imagine I will when I actually start playing games on it again. 5Ghz is the peak on this motherboard, but I'm sure I can get 4-4.5Ghz without needing to tweak the voltages much.

As for the memory and SSD tweaks, I'll set that up later. It runs wonderfully for now.

19. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    Whats the point in booting a computer faster????

20. Originality

United Kingdom
    Less waiting. It's not just Windows, it's every app I load from the SSD. Skype loads in a second (compared to around 5 seconds before), Chrome is instant (compared to 2 seconds), Firefox takes 2 seconds (compared to 4-8 seconds from before), and the few games I've tested spend far less time on the initial splash page. Still installing stuff though (like Steam and iTunes), so things will probably slow down slightly in a few weeks time, but not by much.

Sooner or later, everybody will make the switch from mechanical drives to SSDs to experience the jump in performance. For now, it's too expensive (even though HDD prices have doubled due to flooding in Thailand), but the prices are coming down, the designs are getting better, speeds are getting faster, and the HDD is no longer being the bottleneck in enthusiast-grade computers.