Motorstorm RC has asynchronous cross-platform play.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    A while back, I asked a question to the devs of Modnation Racers Vita about online play, they said it would only have "asynchronous online play". It seems that Motorstorm is doing the same thing.

http://www.vitagamr....ot_simultaneous

It seems like first-party developed Vita titles are not having true online play, while third party developed Vita games (Like Hotshots Golf) are getting it. Is Sony's trend with the vita going to be this psuedo-online play or something?

Hold on now, people, it's only confirmed for just cross-platform. There is ABSOLUTELY NO confirmation this game has even Vita on Vita online play. Before you go saying "it will, why wouldn't it?", remember Modnation Racers does NOT have it, and that game is more reliant on online play that Motorstorm is.

2. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    That certainly feels a bit weird, the Vita sure seems able to pull that off, so why omit it ?

3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Since the PSP could handle Modnation 6 player over the internet, the Vita can EASILY handle simultaneous stuff. I have absolutly no clue why Sony's pulling this crap, but I really hope that at least Modnation and Motorstorm (and whatever other game their pulling this shit on) get some actual online play via DLC eventualy.

4. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm really confused by this decision.

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    EDIT: Oh wait, I misread, it just isn't cross platform play. Well who gives a shit, still worth my time.

6. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    So basically you can't play against a person with a PS3? Considering what previous gen handhelds and consoles have been able to do with each other, not really surprising, but still a let-down. Does anyone know of possible firmware updates to "fix the issue"?

7. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Hold on now, people, it's only confirmed for just cross-platform. There is ABSOLUTELY NO confirmation this game has even Vita on Vita online play. Before you go saying "it will, why wouldn't it?", remember Modnation Racers does NOT have it, and that game is more reliant on online play that Motorstorm is.

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Uh, I don't see why the lack of cross-platform play between the PS3 and the Vita is a problem. Did anyone really expect that?

9. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Considering how they worded the original announcement, and the fact Wipeout 2048 supposedly still has simultaneous cross-platform play, yes.

10. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I don't really care about multiplayer for either of those games as long as there are leaderboards, but I really don't get why Sony announces these things so late. Every time a piece of news about the Vita comes out (expensive memory cards, required memory cards, the inability to easily use multiple PSN accounts, cut-down multiplayer modes) I'm less inclined to buy the Vita. If Sony had just announced this months ago, I would probably care less about them.

I think Vita will do fine in the long run, but they're shooting themselves in the foot by repeatedly disappointing the fanbase that is supposed to buy the Vita at launch.

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    WipEout is a first party title...

Edit: and Hotshots is second party not third.

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    As long as the next, real Motorstorm titles (as in 3D games) have WiFi play and crossplatform play, it's all good IMHO.

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well that's certainly a "glass half empty" type of attitude. There's nothing say it won't not have online play either.

And what makes Motorstorm less reliant on online play than MNR? Racing games do have quite a bit of focus on competitive play. MNR still has all the online sharing capabilities, just no online competitive play. Motorstorm really could benefit from online play once you finish with the challenges and crap.

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out why exactly they would leave out this feature. Hopefully they'll explain their rationale and/or clarify what they meant soon.

15. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    I'd perfer to expect the worse so I can plan out what do, instead of finding out last minute about something that changes plans entirely. I'm like that with everything, not just game related stuff. You call it glass-half-empty person, I can it planning all possible angles.

Also, There is not a emphasis on content creation in Motorstorm. Modnation is..... Mod Nation, the entire point of the game is to share, upload, see your creations in action, etc online. Motostorm just has racing online. That's why I'm saying MNR is more online dependant.

16. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Kaz Hirai is still to step up as CEO right? Is the current leadership purposely sabotaging the Vita? They spout 3G connectivity, meaning internet ANYWHERE, then they remove online play? for a racer, no less?