Gaming Motherboard heat sensor concern

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently built a desktop for my uncle, and I think the motherboard heat sensor is not reading temperatures correctly. Speccy and Speedfan both say the motherboard is 82 degrees celsius, but my hand says otherwise. I touch the back of the motherboard, and I feel a little heat. I would say 37 celsius. Should I be concerned about the temperatures these programs are showing, or is my actual feeling of the motherboard correct? The processor idles at 32 celsius, and it's an i5-2500 Quad core. Any help is appreciated.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
generally, the mobo sensor is on the northbridge, check this instead of checking the plastic temperature.
it's possible that the nb heatsink is incorrectly installed.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once a motherboard reaches a certain temperature threshold (usually ~100-105 Celsius/212- 221 Fahrenheit), it will typically shut down before any irreparable damage occurs. It sounds to me that it could be a faulty sensor, but I could be wrong. Have you tried calling the manufacturer about it? Also, you can try something else like SpeedFan, which monitors the temp and you can change the fan speed if you need to http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fealt every part of the motherboard, it it's extremely cool. SpeedFan was also getting the high C rating. Should I return the motherboard or just leave it as it is?

EDIT: Just went into the BIOS and it is showing the correct temperature. 25 C FTW! Thanks for the help, guys.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it was not set to Farenheight in those programs?

*By a glitch because it seems your processor was in Celcius

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, It's just that 82 degrees farenheight is about 28 degrees celcius which would be consistent. Maybe the windows programs had impropper display because both the BIOS and windows programs get data from the same sensors (which would indicate the sensors being fine).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.