PS1/2 Modded Playstation 1

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey

So I want to play some good old playstation games, on the original console.
However, most of the games I want to play werent released here in Australia.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy an already modded playstation one. The grey bigger console, not the small white one.
I've looked into buy the modchip myself, but I've never soldered before, and I dont want to waste the time/energy/money making mistakes.

Thank you!

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd prefer a big old one with a hard mod chip. I just want to be able to put in any disc and play it, whether it be japanese, ntsc or pal.
Main issue is finding someone to do it for me, I'm willing to pay mind you.

Reactions: quinterrya

quinterrya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you want a Playstation 1 for nostalgic purposes, I recommend getting a modded Playstation 2 or a PSP with a large sd card. You can also softmod the Playstation 1 if it has the I/O port in the back. Theres a cheat device that plug in the back that will let you play backups, but you have to at least have an original game to do the swap trick.

Flaflo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
flaflo.xyz
XP
Country
Germany
Unless you want a Playstation 1 for nostalgic purposes, I recommend getting a modded Playstation 2 or a PSP with a large sd card. You can also softmod the Playstation 1 if it has the I/O port in the back. Theres a cheat device that plug in the back that will let you play backups, but you have to at least have an original game to do the swap trick.
Thats exactly what i meant

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd prefer a big old one with a hard mod chip. I just want to be able to put in any disc and play it, whether it be japanese, ntsc or pal.
Main issue is finding someone to do it for me, I'm willing to pay mind you.
Well then a softmod is the best option for ya. buy the playstation with the softmod requirements and the rest is ez as pie

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Flafio: what are the soft mod requirements. I looked at the link you sent me and got a bit confused sorry.

@quinterrya: I have a ps2 with a internal hdd and mc free boot/free mc boot, (I always get confused.) What do I need to do to play playstation one games?

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@ kourin

If you can direct me to a seller, I'd gladly give them my money. I've tried searching for a bit over a week and have only found the ps1, the small white console. Even then, the guy had 10% feed back. I want a big grey one. but thank you

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should be hard to find a good working psone but ok.
Actually i would choose emulation on PC always over the old PSone hardware. You can set higher resolutions and filters, so the games look much better then on original hardware.

Soldering the modchip was easy with the 1st versions of the PS One, later it was a bit more complicated but still not that hard.
I did mod serveral Playstaions for friends back then.

Flaflo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
flaflo.xyz
XP
Country
Germany
Why not just buy a boot disc to play region free and to play backups they work on any version of the Ps1 here is just one of many boot discs that can be bought http://www.ps2cover.com/products/PS-X-Change-V2-Boot-Disc.html
this is maybe easier than softmod

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh i remember that there was something called swap disc. You take a working disc and after th black ps logo quickly swap the disc to the one you couldnt boot before

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FMCB doesn't allow 'multi region' unless you're playing pre-patched burned iso's.
The PSone softmod requires extra hardware that can be a pain/expensive to find.
The bootdisk option has variable disk compatability depending on what model PSone you're playing on, especially with playing disks released later in the consoles life.

...so, imo, a hard modded PS or PS2 is the best option for playing legit import PS1 disks.
As for getting one - google search for console modders local to you, or try ebay for a pre-modded system.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@duwen So if hardmods are my best bet, which chip is the superior one?
I'm really not up to date on the best chips these days - my console still has the same chip the modder installed 20yrs ago, which was one of the first batch of modchips available. Being a very early console and very early modchip, it has the best compatability... but it's more prone to other faults - I think it's now on its 5th laser assembly.

Reactions: Flaflo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte