Modded gba battery life

nibster11111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's it going guys, I recently did a backlit screen and case on my original gba and it's fantastic! But I'm only getting 1 hour on brAnd new energizer batteries.bi don't remember what it was like before I did the mod but I remember it was better. I had it apart for years lol. Any advice? I feel like I should be getting a lot more and the batteries aren't even close to dead with a rest, thanks in advance for any help

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey nibster, first of all congrats on the mod! A backlit AGB-001 is just about my favorite way to play GBA games.

As for battery life... 1 hour seems less than expected indeed. When you say brand new batteries, I take it to mean you're not using rechargeable ones? I seem to recall getting poor battery life from my NiMH rechargeables on the GBA; but new, alkaline, non-rechargeable batteries should have decent duration even with the new screen.

Maybe it's a bit beside the point, but I do recommend one additional mod: the rechargeable lithium battery kit. Battery life is good and you have the added convenience of just plugging a USB C cable to recharge, without needing to turn off the console.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
are you using an microsd based flash cart? because those suck power like hell and together with a lit display munch through batteries in highspeed.
same for a modded gba sp.
that's why i switched back to regular flashcarts,
they are way less power hungry

Last edited by mrgone,
Reactions: nibster11111

nibster11111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey nibster, first of all congrats on the mod! A backlit AGB-001 is just about my favorite way to play GBA games.

As for battery life... 1 hour seems less than expected indeed. When you say brand new batteries, I take it to mean you're not using rechargeable ones? I seem to recall getting poor battery life from my NiMH rechargeables on the GBA; but new, alkaline, non-rechargeable batteries should have decent duration even with the new screen.

Maybe it's a bit beside the point, but I do recommend one additional mod: the rechargeable lithium battery kit. Battery life is good and you have the added convenience of just plugging a USB C cable to recharge, without needing to turn off the console.
Brand new out of the pack non rechargeable haha, I've thrown the idea around of a rechargeable battery but idk why my brain just wants to go with double A's haha. I'll probably end up doing that though if this continues with other batteries
Post automatically merged:

are you using an microsd based flash cart? because those suck power like hell and together with a lit display munch through batteries in highspeed.
same for a modded gba sp.
that's why i switched back to regular flashcarts,
they are way less power hungry
Just using my regular OEM carts, trying to get into Castlevania Circle of the moon again and always panick when I haven't saved and the red light turns on haha

Reactions: splaca

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I second this - the rechargeable battery mod is a game changer... but definitely look into why you're getting such poor battery life before installing one. Check all solder points. Make sure everything is insulated correctly and nothing is shorting.

Reactions: splaca

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto