GCN Modded Gamecube Problem

ShineOOS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this is the closest one I could find. About a month ago, I successfully installed my Xeno chip into my GC. All was well im until tonight, when it started having issues. Sometimes I’m able to launch super smash Bros melee, play a game, and go to the menu. Other times, my GC crashes on the intro screen. One thing that they both have in common is that there’s a loud clicking noise from the GC and the in game music repeats. The problem can’t be my backup disc media, because I use ritek g04. I checked my drive assembly too, and found that the track on my laser was busted. I had replacement one, so I switched it out. Same problems.

What should I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this is the closest one I could find. About a month ago, I successfully installed my Xeno chip into my GC. All was well im until tonight, when it started having issues. Sometimes I’m able to launch super smash Bros melee, play a game, and go to the menu. Other times, my GC crashes on the intro screen. One thing that they both have in common is that there’s a loud clicking noise from the GC and the in game music repeats. The problem can’t be my backup disc media, because I use ritek g04. I checked my drive assembly too, and found that the track on my laser was busted. I had replacement one, so I switched it out. Same problems.

What should I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.
How do you know the track on the laser was busted? If you replaced it and the same problem persists then it's definitely not the track.

Loud clicking noise sounds like a laser problem to me. There are 3 stages to fixing the issue:
1) Gently clean the laser with a Qtip and iso propyl alcohol (search for guides on youtube)
2) If that doesn't work, adjust the power of the laser (again check youtube)
3) If that doesn't work, replace the laser

ShineOOS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you know the track on the laser was busted? If you replaced it and the same problem persists then it's definitely not the track.

Loud clicking noise sounds like a laser problem to me. There are 3 stages to fixing the issue:
1) Gently clean the laser with a Qtip and iso propyl alcohol (search for guides on youtube)
2) If that doesn't work, adjust the power of the laser (again check youtube)
3) If that doesn't work, replace the laser
I guess the track being “busted” was a bit vague. The white bit with the teeth on the laser was all twisted around, so I just put in a new laser. I will give what you said a shot though.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I guess the track being “busted” was a bit vague. The white bit with the teeth on the laser was all twisted around, so I just put in a new laser. I will give what you said a shot though.
I had a gamecube like this. The loud clicking is the laser slamming into the back of its track while trying to read the disc. Adjusting the power fixed it for me.

Reactions: x65943

ShineOOS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a gamecube like this. The loud clicking is the laser slamming into the back of its track while trying to read the disc. Adjusting the power fixed it for me.
I lowered my resistance from 200 Ohms to around 180 Ohms. It works, but the crashes happen kind of randomly. Is there any thing I can do to test the laser without just playing until it crashes?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I lowered my resistance from 200 Ohms to around 180 Ohms. It works, but the crashes happen kind of randomly. Is there any thing I can do to test the laser without just playing until it crashes?

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. You can try lowering it a little more down to 150 perhaps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.