Modchips *snip* are back, what do you think

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys think there is a way for them to get those back? what I dont get is why hasnt paypal told them to stop selling carts? also for those who ordered a mod chip did you guys get your money back or is the shop still sending them?

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
squirrelman10 said:
you guys think there is a way for them to get those back? what I dont get is why hasnt paypal told them to stop selling carts? also for those who ordered a mod chip did you guys get your money back or is the shop still sending them?
That order would have already gone through at that point. Paypal requesting the site remove modchips doesn't alter the fact that the funds were transferred and the order initiated in the system and all that good stuff. It would merely limit future purchases.

At the moment the ShopTemp crew is working hard to find a way to get the DriveKey, WODE, and future modchips back in the shop.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
squirrelman10 said:
well couldnt they still put them up but inorder to buy them just have the option to not use pay pal, or can you not do that?
Nope, unfortunately paypal won't support any shop that sells modchips period. Regardless of if you're using them for the sale or otherwise.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have to admit modchips pretty much are just piracy at the end of the day.

Usually homebrew doesn't come into the equation of modchips, it's either soft-mods, flashcarts or hardware tricks.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always allow direct payment of credit cards and remove the option to pay with PayPal if Wii modchips are being bought. This way, people can still purchase their modchips.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ace Gunman said:
Maybe they see the value of flashcarts as more than just devices for piracy, but don't feel the same about modchips?
Hmmm... could be true, there's more homebrew for the DS than for the Wii.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ace Gunman said:
squirrelman10 said:
well couldnt they still put them up but inorder to buy them just have the option to not use pay pal, or can you not do that?
Nope, unfortunately paypal won't support any shop that sells modchips period. Regardless of if you're using them for the sale or otherwise.

@Anakir

Just read Ace's post, even if they are not being used for that specific item if the site in general has them and they are used on the site then they will ask them to remove, its just reputation and is part of the their rules. If they did not comply paypal would be taken away from the site causing a lot of problems as people trust paypal and is a well known company.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Understood. I guess there won't ever be modchips being sold as long as paypal is supported then.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Yeah it doesn't make much sense. Maybe they see the value of flashcarts as more than just devices for piracy, but don't feel the same about modchips?
I wouldn't lend them the benefit of the doubt in assuming they actually possess enough knowledge to make a distinction like that. It's probably more because they don't know what flashcarts are yet.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
mattpucc said:
I don't see why Paypal is gettin' all anal about modchips, flashcarts etc.
They don't want to be seen to support Piracy or corporations will get on their backs about it. Modchips are all piracy (playing backups etc.) but I'm surprised that they didn't include Flashcarts in their demands.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
referencer said:
Ace Gunman said:
Yeah it doesn't make much sense. Maybe they see the value of flashcarts as more than just devices for piracy, but don't feel the same about modchips?
I wouldn't lend them the benefit of the doubt in assuming they actually possess enough knowledge to make a distinction like that. It's probably more because they don't know what flashcarts are yet.

Yeah, large corporations like PayPal are never able to make distinctions like this... more than likely, when they actually pull their heads out of their asses long enough to learn (assuming they're capable) what flashcarts are, they'll stop supporting shops with those, as well.

This seems all the more reason to just add a regular, credit card checkout option. Once ShopTemp has that, you can just get rid of PayPal and bring the Modchips back.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
ShopTemp using PayPal for ANYTHING is a bad idea, whether it be modchips, flash carts, or legitimate accessories. PayPal can, at any time, put a "freeze" on your account if they suspect it is being used for illegal transactions. I've heard from shop owners in the past who've had this happen to them and their money (literally tens of thousands of dollars) stuck in limbo for months. That is why most legitimate shops no longer use PayPal. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your money.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
TM2-Megatron said:
referencer said:
Ace Gunman said:

Yeah, large corporations like PayPal are never able to make distinctions like this... more than likely, when they actually pull their heads out of their asses long enough to learn (assuming they're capable) what flashcarts are, they'll stop supporting shops with those, as well.

This seems all the more reason to just add a regular, credit card checkout option. Once ShopTemp has that, you can just get rid of PayPal and bring the Modchips back.

This was my argument when DX removed their flashcarts because of Paypal. Credit cards should of kept their sales going surely?

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Paypal is unfortunately the only truly accessible payment option for a vast majority of smaller independent firms, especially if they are acting on an international basis and do a lot of smaller transactions. Accepting/processing credit card payment is very very expensive, you have to have a merchant account with a reputable bank, and then use a payment gateway provider and get it all integrated in your e-commerce solution with a decent SSL certificate. Tis much hardwork.

I was working on an e-commerce system for a heating retailer in the UK - and in the end using their own online payment system just made it completely unfeasible. They already had the merchant account and an existing relationship with a gateway due to using a PDQ instore. The transaction charges from all the parties involved was just completely stupid - and that was on purchases of about £200/£300 at a time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things