Mod wii console -- worth it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by paperbullet, Jan 25, 2013.

Jan 25, 2013
  1. paperbullet
    OP

Newcomer paperbullet Newbie

Singapore
    Hello all, would just like your opinion on whether i should modify my wii!

I have had the USA wii console for a few years already, so its warranty has expired some time ago. I've always wanted to play this rhythm game called "Taiko no Tatsujin"... unfortunately it only works on the Japanese console. Is it worth modding my wii just for the game (and a few other jap games)? I've read about the possibility of the wii "brickking" and all, but would just like to know where I can mod it/how much it costs, weigh the pros and cons and then decide!

Thank you!

2. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    As long as you aren't a dumbshit that bricks your Wii, there are literally no other downsides to a modded Wii, since features are only added, and nothing is taken away.

2ndApex likes this.
  3. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Modding is pretty safe as long as you don't do anything to technical and there's all kind of benefits. The safest and most complete way to do it is ModMii for Windows. That way the risk is probably less than a normal update that Nintendo sends out. Basically unless you're REAL unlucky and the power goes out at JUST the wrong time while installing, nothing will go wrong.

EDIT : Also, if you're Wii is old enough it will actually end up being even HARDER to brick when you're done.

4. paperbullet
    OP

Singapore
    alright, thank you!

5. paperbullet
    OP

Singapore
    ohh, thank you for the info! will try out ModMii!

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    is it worth it? free games, emulation and homebrew all at your fingertips what do you think? :P

7. Xenirina

Member Xenirina Scener

Australia
  8. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    I personally have a soft-modded launch-system Wii running System Menu 4.1U, fully hacked IOS's to run CFG USB Loader and emulators. I even went as far as to configure everything to run from USB instead of the SD card, so the only purpose of the SD card is to run BootMii at startup, and hack other Wii systems for friends. I also installed the black System Menu theme, and added forwarder channels to point to the apps on the USB harddrive. I backup my NAND before every update I perform, and have yet to brick my Wii. Had a Semi-brick using Dop-Mii, but that was my fault for deleting stubs without knowing what I was doing. Fully recovered though, and I have no regrets hacking my Wii. I love that I can have all of my favorite childhood/teenhood games at my fingertips with next to 99% flawless emulation, all on one small little game console. And not having to use the disc drive for anything but ripping games has extended the drive's life substantially. I'm pretty sure a replacement drive for my model is next to impossible to find for a decent price, since the newer Wii consoles can't read from DVD-R.