Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot (2)-580-75.jpg

Microsoft has just announced that they will be offering an upgrade program for their new OS, Windows 8. Anyone using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 will only have to pay $39.99 to receive Windows 8 Pro.

The promotion will run through January 31st, 2013.
icon11.gif
Blogging Windows

Windows 7 Professional, for comparison, launched at $199.99; doing the math, that means Windows 8 Pro would cost 80% less through this deal.

Windows 8 has been kind of controversial around the internet (and by kind of controversial, I mean all around bloodied, bruised, and burned at the stake by a good chunk of people), so it looks like Microsoft is trying to win favor with a very, very reasonable deal. It will be interesting to see if they win people or if the hate for eight continues.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the hate. Isn't the new UI just a start menu of sorts, and there is still the classic view to use as an option? It was that way in an old beta I've used.

Edit: good thing it's so cheap. There doesnt seem to be much different in this release from Windows 7. Maybe a good chance for those on XP to finally update. But I don't know.

Reactions: 1 person

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a lot of hate due to misinformation. The primary hate is over the Metro look, or w/e it's called. Most don't seem to know that the Windows look we've come to know and love should still be available. They just see screenshots of the more tablet and smart phone oriented layout and freak the fuck out. It's pretty much a standard internet response.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I don't understand the hate. Isn't the new UI just a start menu of sorts, and there is still the classic view to use as an option? It was that way in an old beta I've used.

Edit: good thing it's so cheap. There doesnt seem to be much different in this release from Windows 7. Maybe a good chance for those on XP to finally update. But I don't know.
I do. They basically took Windows 7 and duct-taped a tablet OS to it which makes no sense to desktop users. While the Metro design looks cool, they should completely amputate it from the desktop package as it only gets in the way and adds little functionality.

It's really telling that they had to markdown the list price pre-launch. Ouch.

Reactions: 4 people

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think upgrade would net me a key to use anytime will it? Tempted to do this deal just for a legit copy to throw about.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
That's nice of them. No?
If ya got 40bucks worth of coins, there you go.
Also, I lack knowledge in technology of PC's, but why couldn't they just leave the Start Menu with the bar?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I lack knowledge in technology of PC's, but why couldn't they just leave the Start Menu with the bar?

From what I understand (and I could totally be wrong here), Microsoft is trying to create an OS that will function across PCs, Laptops, Smartphone, and Tablet devices. Everything is streamlined to accommodate the mobile stuff.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone buying a new laptop, some places offer it for $14.99. I was tempted to get it, but I didn't know the advantages. :unsure:

Happy with window 7,but maybe I should have got it. ...Oh well.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Win7 is a pretty good OS to use. Wish I knew how to customize it better though. I formatted my laptop and the layout is different from what I was used to. Win 8 just seems like a reskin for most part. I don't know what's new in it.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone buying a new laptop, some places offer it for $14.99. I was tempted to get it, but I didn't know the advantages. :unsure:

Happy with window 7,but maybe I should have got it. ...Oh well.
$40 for multiple licences
$15 for only one licence.

Hmmmm....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality